Unlifted HD

New to the Forum and I'm looking for some advise. I just bought an 02 Chevrolet 2500HD LS Dura/Alli CC 34,500 miles Grey. It is a gorgeous truck. Not a scratch, dent or ding. Nice spray in bed liner. Minimal paint chips along bottom and interior immaculate. This is my dream truck that I have been searching for, for a year or more. It was bought from a local dealer that I bought my wifes Tahoe from in 01. They have always been upfront with me. I was told it was from another well know customer who has done business with them for past 12 yrs. So far every thing sounds great. I take it for two days and what an awesome truck, very impressed. After the purchase I decided to put tubular steps on the truck and started looking at where to install them and I find additional holes in the frame right where the T bar brace is. I look futher and it appears that the front cross member was cut and then re welded. Apparently it was lifted and then removed. I looks to be a good welding repair. I think some lifts require the cutting of certain vital parts? Is this true? Is it a big deal to remove them? It drives great but I'm looking for some advise or lessons learned in this area. I don't want to worry about it if it is not a big deal. Thanks

There are 2 things that usually have to be cut to add a lift. 1st is the front diff cross member. This is a minimal job to cut off. If the piece was saved I see no reason why it could'nt be welded back on with no ill effects. The other cut is the upper mount on the diff. Some kit's cut here some do not. Super lift offers a bracket to return a mount to the original location. It bolts to the diff. If the Diff has not had the upper mount cut off, it was either a Pro Comp lift or they put in a new/used front diff. If the welding is good you should have no problems.

Archived