Cleaning engine bay

i did a little womping and now my engine is covered in mud, theres a huge clump on the alternaotr and mud flakes and just general mud everywhere. i need to clean it!

what do i need to cover up before i clean it...?

how do i clean it?

what do i use to clean it?

ill try to get a pic of the engine soon!

thanks

Its not gonna hurt anythign to hose it down....do a search for this on the board for this topic and you'll see some earlier topics that were started regaurding this. I think some guys even talk about a few products that are great for jsut the trick....

Good luck..

Like OU said, as long as you're careful you should be ok. I would do two passes. The first just to hose off the mud, let it dry, then use a cleaner like Orange Blast or even Simple Green. I usually cover up each coil and the upper half of the alternator, but I don't worry if they get a little wet (you have little choice with all the mud). I use the whole bottle of cleaner and spray everthing inside the engine compartment from all angles. Let it soak a little bit, but don't let the cleaner dry. Then just thoroughly hose down the engine compartment again. Let it dry again and then dress with a dressing like Stoners More Shine, Less Time (or other that drys to the touch). :thumbs:

what about the electrical center? do i need to cover that?

and the simple green do i need to dilute it or keep it full strength?

I just take it to the "quarter carwash" and pressure wash the engine. Just do not blast down hard on the sensors, ignition coils, plugs wire or distibutor but you can have at it with the engine itself. No need for fancy cleaners. I do it all the time and I even take my tractor up to town one of two times a years to clean it up too (just did last week)

what about the electrical center? do i need to cover that?

and the simple green do i need to dilute it or keep it full strength?

I just take it to the "quarter carwash" and pressure wash the engine. Just do not blast down hard on the sensors, ignition coils, plugs wire or distibutor but you can have at it with the engine itself. No need for fancy cleaners. I do it all the time and I even take my tractor up to town one of two times a years to clean it up too (just did last week)

Yeah I do the same thing. My local car wash has a engine/tire cleaner I spray on and let sit while I wash the rest of the vehicle. Then just spray it off gently. I try not to dwell too long on the electrical stuff, but I have never had a problem.

I usually thin my Simple Green down a bit, but that's a matter of how dirty your bay is too. I've kept on top of mine, so it doesn't take much to clean it up. Usually I can get away with just wiping it down with a damp towel. Then I apply some protectant on the plastics/rubber.

Archived