Timing Question

First off, get a chilton's or equivalent so you know what cylinder's what.

Take the spark plug out of the #1 cylinder and using a screw driver as a guide, SLOWLY rotate the engine by hand until the #1 piston is at Top Dead Center.

Install your distributor to point at the #1 plug wire (on the cap). Replace the plug, install the cap and start it.

You have a 50/50 shot that it's right. If it backfires throught the TBI, rotate the distributor 180 degrees and hit it again.

(The piston goes to TDC twice on a cycle)

Also, as the distributor gear engages the cam gear, the distributor will rotate slightly, so you have to practice a time or two to get the right spot.

First off, get a chilton's or equivalent so you know what cylinder's what.

Take the spark plug out of the #1 cylinder and using a screw driver as a guide, SLOWLY rotate the engine by hand until the #1 piston is at Top Dead Center.

Install your distributor to point at the #1 plug wire (on the cap). Replace the plug, install the cap and start it.

You have a 50/50 shot that it's right. If it backfires throught the TBI, rotate the distributor 180 degrees and hit it again.

(The piston goes to TDC twice on a cycle)

Also, as the distributor gear engages the cam gear, the distributor will rotate slightly, so you have to practice a time or two to get the right spot.

Thanks. I have a chiltons and I know what cylinder is what. What is the best way to know when the cylinder is at TDC? Thanks again.

When you have the screw drive down in the plug hole, it will be the point where teh screwdriver is not pushed up any further, right before it goes back down.

Much easier way, look at the crankshaft dampener at the timing marks. When the mark on the dampener lines up with the "0" on the timing tab, you are either on #1 or #6. Try the distributor with the rotor pointing at #1, if it pops back through thr carb, pull the distributor out enough to clear the gears and turn the rotor exactly 180 degrees and drop back in.

Looking at the underside of the distributor, is there only 2 ways that it can fit back into the engine? there is a bar that is inside the gearing at the very bottom of it. Likewise, down in the engine, there is a small notch that the bar fits into. Am I correct on this?

Also, is it usually difficult to get the distributor back in place on the engine (getting the gears to mesh? I did it once, but it is a real pain!

Success!!! Thank you everyone for your help! :D

One more question, what is the best way to get the engine running correctly? Right now it is running, but a bit rough. Should I rotate the distributor while the engine is running till it sounds better? Do I need to use a timing light? If so, what is the proceedure for using one?

Thanks again!

Use a light. Make sure you disconnect the vacuum advance or the timing connector.

Did that, but I am not able to use a timing light. When cylinder 1 is at TDC the timing mark is off. It is about 90 degrees counterclockwise of where it should be. I belive the engine was rebuilt before I bought it and the crank may not have been assembled correctly.

Since I can't use a light, what is the best way to do this? I need to pass emmissions. If I error on the side of caution, is it better to be too advanced or retarded ( :cheers: )?

Thanks.

Use a light. Make sure you disconnect the vacuum advance or the timing connector.

Did that, but I am not able to use a timing light. When cylinder 1 is at TDC the timing mark is off. It is about 90 degrees counterclockwise of where it should be. I belive the engine was rebuilt before I bought it and the crank may not have been assembled correctly.

Since I can't use a light, what is the best way to do this? I need to pass emmissions. If I error on the side of caution, is it better to be too advanced or retarded ( :cheers: )?

Thanks.

The crank dampner is bad and has slipped. The only real way is to replace the dampner or guess and then you probably wont pass.

Thanks.

The crank dampner is bad and has slipped. The only real way is to replace the dampner or guess and then you probably wont pass.

Is that tough to do? What is the proceedure?

Thanks.

Thanks.

Thanks.

You will have to remove the radiator and all belts. Remove the 3 bolts 9/16 and then there is a center bolt 5/8 with pully off you will need a specal puller that bolts to the 3 holes in the damper. Pull the damper off & replace the damper. The damper must be pulled back on with a nother puller. Usually the auto parts stores will rent you the puller kit.

Thanks.

Is a harmonic balancer the same thing as a dampner?

Thanks.

You will have to remove the radiator and all belts. Remove the 3 bolts 9/16 and then there is a center bolt 5/8 with pully off you will need a specal puller that bolts to the 3 holes in the damper. Pull the damper off & replace the damper. The damper must be pulled back on with a nother puller. Usually the auto parts stores will rent you the puller kit.

Archived