Magnet in G80 drain plug?

I recently changed the rear end oil in my 04 GMC 2500HD G80-4:10 locker and I was surprised to see that there was no magnet on the drain plug. Should I have had a magnet, or are they all like that? Also, it would only take 3 qts of oil, I thought it was supposed to hold 4. Any ideas?

thanks

I recently changed the rear end oil in my 04 GMC 2500HD G80-4:10 locker and I was surprised to see that there was no magnet on the drain plug.  Should I have had a magnet, or are they all like that?  Also, it would only take 3 qts of oil, I thought it was supposed to hold 4.  Any ideas?

thanks

Just curious about what oil you used.

I used Mobil1 75-90 in mine. You are supposed to go out and make a few turns (figure 8's are the best), then check the fluid and add as neccessary. The fluid has to make it's way around in there a bit. I can't remember exactly how much fluid mine took though. Maybe someone else here will help out.

4qts. put the level about 1/4" below the fill hole on my truck. 2qts. puts the level about 1/4" below the fill hole on the front diff.

I used Royal Purple Max-gear 75w-90 in the rear and M1 75w-90 in the front.

I wanted the same fluid in both,but none of the parts stores in my area had enough of either to do both.

Archived