ABS light after gear swap

OK, I give up...this one has me stumped.

2003 2wd 4.3V6. Origionally 235's (29") with 3.42 gears. I changed tires to 265's (30.55") wnd re-programmed with Hypertech III...no problems.

I have now replaced the gears with 4.10's and reprogrammed again for the gears. Now the ABS and brake lights come on within 5 miles after startup.

What gives?

OK, I give up...this one has me stumped.

2003 2wd 4.3V6.  Origionally 235's (29") with 3.42 gears.  I changed tires to 265's (30.55") wnd re-programmed with Hypertech III...no problems.

I have now replaced the gears with 4.10's and reprogrammed again for the gears.  Now the ABS and brake lights come on within 5 miles after startup. 

What gives?

i had the same problem when i swaped out to 4.56's, the hyperjunk wouldn't fix it so i had nelson change it in when i got a custom tune, problem solved

2003 2wd 4.3V6.  Origionally 235's (29") with 3.42 gears.  I changed tires to 265's (30.55") wnd re-programmed with Hypertech III...no problems.

I have now replaced the gears with 4.10's and reprogrammed again for the gears.  Now the ABS and brake lights come on within 5 miles after startup. 

Maybe your 265s aren't close enough to 30.5" to make the system happy.

When I changed from 245s to the BFG's, which are listed by BFG as "35 inch tires" but are actually 34.5 new, I programmed for them as 34", which is as big as my HPP3 would allow.

Before I programmed, my ABS light came on right away, but it went out afterward.

When I changed from 3.73 to 4.56, the light came on again until I re-programmed, after which point it went out.

Perhaps you should confirm your tire size.

A call to Hypertech might also help.

The 30.5 was determined by 1 rev on the driveway. It is actually a lot less than BFG publishes (31.6, but I think that is at max air and off-vehicle).

I actually did get the lights to go off...lied to the HP-III and told it I had 29" tires! Speedo is off, so i doubt I will leave it that way.

I called Hypertech this morning. They stated that they have had numerous reports of this...that particular combo yields a diff between the transmission output and wheel sensors that the ABS unit does not like. Hypertech says the only fix is to lie about the tire size (like I am now), or try to get the dealer to re-cal the ABS unit. they report that some dealers will (for a price), and some won't period.

The 30.5 was determined by 1 rev on the driveway.  It is actually a lot less than BFG publishes (31.6, but I think that is at max air and off-vehicle). 

I actually did get the lights to go off...lied to the HP-III and told it I had 29" tires!  Speedo is off, so i doubt I will leave it that way. 

I called Hypertech this morning.  They stated that they have had numerous reports of this...that particular combo yields a diff between the transmission output and wheel sensors that the ABS unit does not like.  Hypertech says the only fix is to lie about the tire size (like I am now), or try to get the dealer to re-cal the ABS unit.  they report that some dealers will (for a price), and some won't period.

I had a similar problem in my '04 when I lifted it and put in 4:56 gear's. I sent it back to Wester's and the problem was fixed. :seeya:

The 30.5 was determined by 1 rev on the driveway.  It is actually a lot less than BFG publishes (31.6, but I think that is at max air and off-vehicle). 

I actually did get the lights to go off...lied to the HP-III and told it I had 29" tires!  Speedo is off, so i doubt I will leave it that way. 

I called Hypertech this morning.  They stated that they have had numerous reports of this...that particular combo yields a diff between the transmission output and wheel sensors that the ABS unit does not like.  Hypertech says the only fix is to lie about the tire size (like I am now), or try to get the dealer to re-cal the ABS unit.  they report that some dealers will (for a price), and some won't period.

That sucks.

At around 5% off, 65mph on the speedo will be about 68.3mph actual.

Certainly something to keep in mind while driving.

Archived