Converting From analog to digital

is this something one could do themselves or is this a dealer thing?  I'd like to have verizon with onstar. I read a little about it but no one said if its DIY.

thanks

Amos33,

I'm assuming this is on your '03? I'm pretty sure its going to be a dealer only conversion and not a "DIY",We are still waiting for more information here at our dealership on doing this as we have had a few customers ask us about this.

There is nothing out to do this at this time.

Are the 2005's digital?

No,Its the analog/digital ready system,which means you will have to get it converted to digital when the hardware is available.

I understood the 05s are analog/digital, not analog/digital ready. Thus the ones that are, are able to be on verizons americas choice with onstar.

I looked at a dealer this weekend at the labels on the window because it is supposed to tell what onstar it has. all of them i seen were analog/digital.

Ok...I've got the scoup.

I called OnStar. The Rep stated that the 2005 models have the Digital/analog hardware. She added that in 2007, to be able to use OnStar you had to have the digital system. The folks with the "digital/analog systems or...the version VI hardware are safe for the transition.

She said that if someone is wondering if they have the updated system they can try to place a call. While dialing, if you have to pause between numbers, you have the old hardware. The new digital hardware has a more advanced voice recognition capability allowing you to verbally dial without pauses.

Ok...I've got the scoup.

She added that in 2007, to be able to use OnStar you had to have the digital system. 

I'm sorry, am I understanding you right? Do you mean that starting in '07, I will no longer be able to use OnStar at all in my '03 Silverado?

...or are you saying I won't be able to use the Verizon America's whatever with OnStar package?

Supposedly they are going to be able to convert the analog/digital ready systems, but im not sure about the analog only systems.

If you hit your on* button, if it says onstar ready, you have the analog/digital-ready setup. if it says onstar, you have the analog only.

anyone is welcome to correct me if i am wrong.

Ok...I've got the scoup.

She added that in 2007, to be able to use OnStar you had to have the digital system. 

I'm sorry, am I understanding you right? Do you mean that starting in '07, I will no longer be able to use OnStar at all in my '03 Silverado?

...or are you saying I won't be able to use the Verizon America's whatever with OnStar package?

As of some time in 2007, OnStar is migrating to a 100% digital system is what I was told last night. If you want to verify this, you can hit your little blue button and as or go to the website and find the phone # and give them a shout.

I'm sorry I didn't get a more complete answer from her. I was inquiring about what my '05 had. They are very polite and it won't cost you a penny. Good Luck and let us know.

• 3 weeks later...

I inquired about this a few weeks ago from my local dealership. I have an 04 with the analog/digital ready onstar system. The upgrade is available now, you have to subscribe to a 3 year onstar membership to be eligible for the free upgrade. The 3 year plan has to be purchased all at once. After this, you add an additional line to your Verizon family plan, and your onstar phone serves as your other family phone.

Hmm.. I was under the impression that my '04 has the analog system. I DO have to pause a bit between numbers when dialing (or I get a "Slower Please.." from the girly voice). However I also get "OnStar Ready" when I hit the white button.

Guess I need to contact the OnStar people to see which one I DO have. (Didn't want to have to spend $$$ just to keep the hands-free capability, but expected to anyway.)

Hmm..  I was under the impression that my '04 has the analog system.  I DO have to pause a bit between numbers when dialing (or I get a "Slower Please.." from the girly voice).  However I also get "OnStar Ready" when I hit the white button.

Guess I need to contact the OnStar people to see which one I DO have.  (Didn't want to have to spend $$$ just to keep the hands-free capability, but expected to anyway.)

it is analog/digital ready. my 03 is the same way.

Archived