Dump the '04 Sierra

Hello everybody. With all these *extreme* GM rebates going on right now, I was just playing with an idea here.

Here's what I own:

2004 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 4x4

extended cab, shortbox, black

SLT trim level (every option)

only has 3,600 miles on it. Is paid off; I own it.

I was contemplating the idea of possibly moving up to an '05 model. Many of you will think I am nuts, but the 05 is a little different than the 04

310 horse 5.3 engine vs. 295 hp iron block

twin electric cooling fans vs. manual clutch fan

rear drums vs. rear discs

Am I missing anything else here?

Here's the other thing. My 04 SLT has sooo many options that I never use!! I think i could drop the SLT and get an 05 SLE for pennies.

Opinions??

Lol, this is probably throwing fuel on the fire but I just upgraded to a black 2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 LS and absolutely love the truck. I've driven quite a few GM trucks from 94 onwards, including a few with the 5.3L Vortec and I feel that this is the nicest performing one yet.

I've got the 310 Hp Aluminum block 5.3L with the 4l60E, 4.10s, 17 inch wheels with 265/70R17 tires and the dual electric fans and I love how strong the truck feels. It's my new favorite ride already. :cheers:

d**n dude, you sound identical to the situation that i was in except i had no choice because my 04 burned to the ground.

just like you , i had an o4 slt loaded with the 295 iron block without the 410 gears. i now have an 05 sle because like you i never used the othe BS that the 04 slt had on it. My sle has the aluminum block 310 hp motor with 4:10 gears. it is definately stronger than my 04. i think it is more gearing than anything else though. do expect alot worse gas mileage but that isn't an issue for me. i traded ammenities for strength. however, if my 04 would not have burned and i was not forced to get an 05 like i was; i would still have my 04 today and be totally satisfied.

if money is not an issue i would say get the 05; but if you are happy with your truck don' t do it because you aren't going to be totally blown away by the difference in power eventhough there is a noticable gain.

I hate to say it, but you will take a HUGE beating on your truck. When the new stuff gets cheaper, the used stuff gets REAL cheap. I don't think the difference in equipment will make up for the huge loss you will take.

Personally, I would keep your leather, etc. and for less money get a Westers tune (I think they are on sale right now) and see much better performance than the '05 will offer, and save a TON of money.

Just my thoughts, but it is your truck and your money.

Good Luck with your choice! :cheers:

I hate to say it, but you will take a HUGE beating on your truck. When the new stuff gets cheaper, the used stuff gets REAL cheap. I don't think the difference in equipment will make up for the huge loss you will take.

Personally, I would keep your leather, etc. and for less money get a Westers tune (I think they are on sale right now) and see much better performance than the '05 will offer, and save a TON of money.

Just my thoughts, but it is your truck and your money.

Good Luck with your choice!  :cheers:

Elwood, I have topics about wester's tune differences and torque management. could you post there and give your .02- thnx

Archived