Am I being petty?

Saturday morning I went to the Line-X shop in Fort Worth and am totaly satisfied with the job. I took 40 something pictures of the install and will shortly be doing some sort of tech or review artical if there is interest and if it will be posted.

Later in the afternoon, I went to a camper / tonneau retail outlet in Arlington (won't give the name out until I know what the out come is) (It may hurt them unnecessarily if they make it right) and purchased an ARE LSII Lid.

The problem is the dealer told me of the quality and that this particular lid is vehicle spacific, in that it is designed to match the hood crevices. Or as the litterature and website states (read after purchase), "Ultimate custom fit tonneau covers. The LSII Series is the ultimate in custom-fitted hard tonneau covers for today's pickups. A.R.E. designed each model to match the curvature and style lines of the pickup it is made to fit. Compound curves add strength as well as style."

The dealer installed an LSII lid for a GMC pickup on my Silverado and I'm not happy.

When I go to sell the truck, I can't say...hey...it's got an A.R.E. Tonneau cover that is made for the Silverado...look the tonneau looks like the hood...

If I just wanted to get something to cover the bed I could have done it MUCH CHEEPER!!!!!!!!!

Am I being petty?

no. the installer screwed up . you should get what you paid for.

Not that it matters to your point...but it was the manager that got it and set it on my truck...

I agree. When I call tomarrow, it is very possible that he will do the correct thing and make it right. If not...it always pays to purchase things on MasterCard :fume:

OK, here is the deal. The managers name is Kevin Moore of DFW Camper Corral in Arlington Texas. He is solid.

My phone call this morning was short with no problem. He stated that they has used so many more of the GMC lids on Silverado's that they stopped stocking the one for the Silverado. He want on to say that the reason the Silverado topper is not used as much is that it has a hump in the middle just like the hood. Many of his customers complaned about this.

I simply told him that I liked the looks of the Silverado topper and that one of the selling points for me was that it was model specific because it followed the lines. He said no problem and if he couldn't find one in the correct color in the regional warehouse he would order one.

I have been screwed so many times that I was dreading the phone call. Finally, someone in retail that is as good as his word. As soon as I get the ok from one of the administrators, I will begin a writeup on the past weekend buying spree.

There are pictures on the ARE LSII web page. The banner is a birch crew short box. In their gallery there is a red single cab.

Am I understanding correctly your comment about wanting to see pictures of what you ordered? Did you purchase and order this top without seeing any brochure pictures of the Silverado and the Sierra versions? Does your receipt/order slip have '05 Silverado LSII written on it or does it have '05 GM Fullsize?

The biggest part that is not being understood, if the top was not what you wanted why is it installed? Did you not look at it before they installed it?

Other than being the wrong style, is there a problem with the fit and finish of the Sierra version?

The 03-up Silverado version just has some of the hood lines in the top, whereas the Sierra version is basically smooth again kinda matching the hood contours along with that of the 99-02 Silverado.

JMO...the Silverado version doesn't quite look right. For the contour look the LSX model actually looks better. The Sierra version LSII you got looks the best. Again Just my opinion, but then again I'm a shell not tonneau person.

Guest 007FL

I'm with Tuscon,

I can't imagine purchasing this sight unseen but after looking at all three models I think the one you have and the LSX are both better looking than the Silverado version.

JMHO

:fume:

I hate to say it, but IMO the gmc looks better, and it also fits the hood lines on the chevrolet, as the spacing between the lines is the same. However, I'm glad that the truck accessory store made things right. They get props in my book for that.

There are pictures on the ARE LSII web page.  The banner is a birch crew short box.  In their gallery there is a red single cab.

Am I understanding correctly your comment about wanting to see pictures of what you ordered?  Did you purchase and order this top without seeing any brochure pictures of the Silverado and the Sierra versions?  Does your receipt/order slip have '05 Silverado LSII written on it or does it have '05 GM Fullsize?

The biggest part that is not being understood, if the top was not what you wanted why is it installed?  Did you not look at it before they installed it?

Other than being the wrong style, is there a problem with the fit and finish of the Sierra version?

The 03-up Silverado version just has some of the hood lines in the top, whereas the Sierra version is basically smooth again kinda matching the hood contours along with that of the 99-02 Silverado.

JMO...the Silverado version doesn't quite look right.  For the contour look the LSX model actually looks better.  The Sierra version LSII you got looks the best.  Again Just my opinion, but then again I'm a shell not tonneau person.

I knew that there were pics of 2 vehicles on the LSII web site.

Yes, I'd like to see additional pictures of this top on other vehicles.

I was on the yard with the manager and he said that it was model specific and in my color. He didn't tell me that it was for a GMC. I didn't figure out that I had a GMC version until I was at a gas station and the front of a GMC pulled up beside my truck facing the other way. I had not seen the Silverado version until I got home from my trip. After realizing what may have happened I combed through all of my paperwork that was stuffed into the warranty folder and found out that it in fact was a GMC version that I was given. The Receipt that I signed didn't have model info in it.

The top looks fine. If I spent money on a top that is model specific, I want it to be for the correct vehicle. The LSII is a great top, but a portion of the expense is for the design to fit your particular vehicle. If the top for a Nissan Titan actually fit, I wouldn't purchase it. The top fits great, but there is no reason why it wouldn't. The bed measurements are the same between the two trucks.

Aside from the GMC version having several small creases in the hood it is totally smooth. I liked the character of the Silverado version better after seeing it when I got home. It doesn't look like every other tonneau on the block. When the dealer stated that it was model specific and didn't tell me that the particular one was for a GMC, it kind of bothered me. When someone tells me that it is model specific and yes we have it instock...I and you would expect to get that product. Not seeing the difference between the two it could go either way. After you see the top for the Silverado, there is no question.

No, the GMC top doesn't look bad or fit incorrectly, I just want what I thought I was purchasing. If I knew all of that before and ended up not liking it then that would be on me. Being over 200 miles from home and getting the deal that I was getting, I didn't think I had to drive home to look it up on the net to make sure the manager was telling me the correct information and then come back.

In any event, the dealer came through and that is what is important here. When my other top comes in, I will post comparison photos. Until then...if any one has this top and has picutes of it feel free to post them.

Yeah, I don't really understand why you took delivery if you knew it was the wrong one.

And if you didn't know, there must not have been enough difference for you to tell.

If I knew it was the wrong one, I wouldn't have taken delivery. I could have gone with brand X and got a smooth top and saved another 200 to 300 bucks. If the two tops were side by side there's no mistaking the difference. Fact is I didn't know until I got home and was able to look it up.

Guest 007FL

I'd say you're in a perdicament here.

I saw the Silverado model you want to get this morning. It was on a black truck. I must say again. In person the hump in the top looks a bit funky.

If you can save face and stop the manager from ordering the new top I'd say do so. Perhaps you buy him lunch for offering. You certainly don't want him to think he did the wrong thing by offering to do what's right.

Hope it all works out for you.

:chevy:

Archived