HELP, Can I Use Wiring Harness for Power

I have a 2004 1500 CC with trailer package. I thought I could use the constant battery feed on the wiring harness to wire a 12V plug for a cooler to put in the box for vacation. I got a seven wire plug and just wired the ground and the positive (supposedly the constant power) to a 12V plug so I could have a temporary power source (and yes I did double check to see that the plug was wired correctly). The problem is I do not have any power. I checked the manual and the fuse box for a fuse that may need to be inserted for this to work but I was unsuccessful. Any ideas, on what I did wrong. Still scratching my head on this one. Thanks

I have a 2004 1500 CC with trailer package.  I thought I could use the constant battery feed on the wiring harness to wire a 12V plug for a cooler to put in the box for vacation.  I got a seven wire plug and just wired the ground and the positive (supposedly the constant power) to a 12V plug so I could have a temporary power source (and yes I did double check to see that the plug was wired correctly).  The problem is I do not have any power.  I checked the manual and the fuse box for a fuse that may need to be inserted for this to work but I was unsuccessful.  Any ideas, on what I did wrong.  Still scratching my head on this one.  Thanks

makes sure there is a fuse in the spot labeled "stud #1", that is for your trailer wiring power.

Disregard the added wiring diagram with a diode, that was for different post.

fusepanel.jpg

A couple years ago I got a genuine GM accessory from GM Parts Direct that plugs directly into the trailer wiring socket and has a cigarette lighter socket on the other side ... I think I looked a few months ago but did not see it - maybe shoot them an email. At least this would work in a pinch.

Pretty good bet there is a dummy fuse in the Stud 1 location. You will have to pull it and put in the appropriate maxi fuse (probably bundled with the trailer brake control wire harness). That should fix the problem.

I have a semi-related question. . .I'm in the process of hooking up extra reverse lights underneath the bumper. The installation instructions with the lights say to connect directly to the battery up front. If I spliced into an always hot lead in the trailer wiring harness, this would substitute just the same correct?

I have a semi-related question. . .I'm in the process of hooking up extra reverse lights underneath the bumper.  The installation instructions with the lights say to connect directly to the battery up front.  If I spliced into an always hot lead in the trailer wiring harness, this would substitute just the same correct?

correct, but add a fuse if the light's harness doesn't allready have one.

Thanks for the help, especially BBSilverado for the photos and willieboy for the heads up on the fuse being supplied in the wiring harness. I plugged in the 40A fuse in Stud #1 and the cooler began cooling. Now my family will have cold drinks on the road for the next week. Thanks again

Archived