mackinak island, michigan

chevy4x4trucks

I live in the milwaukee are and next year i was going to take the family on a one week trip around the lake to mackinak island for a few days. I was there years ago when i was a little kid and i remember it being a lot of fun.

My question is, we want to just stay on the island for two or three nights and then stay somewhere in michigan for a few more nights, what are some good spots to go to? I've got a 7 year old daughter and a 4 month old son, so something fun for her and baby friendly. (obviously next year she'll be 8 and he'll be almost 1-1/2)

If you have any suggestions let me know, i figure better plan this now for late summer/early fall next year.

• 1 month later...

I don't check here to often, but you will have a great time at the Mac. For a day, check out the Souix Locks, most kids love watching the ships pass through the locks, and a few hotels have "lock" viewing rooms.

Also in the UP is Tahquamenon Falls State Park, lots to do around that area, it located near Paradise (an actual place no just a state of mind). You could easily spend a week or more in the great UP of MI. Not to sound like a salesman check out www.michigan.gov and look under Travel & Recreation.

BJ

I live in the milwaukee are and next year i was going to take the family on a one week trip around the lake to mackinak island for a few days.  I was there years ago when i was a little kid and i remember it being a lot of fun.

My question is, we want to just stay on the island for two or three nights and then stay somewhere in michigan for a few more nights, what are some good spots to go to?  I've got a 7 year old daughter and a 4 month old son, so something fun for her and baby friendly. (obviously next year she'll be 8 and he'll be almost 1-1/2)

If you have any suggestions let me know, i figure better plan this now for late summer/early fall next year.

Sounds like a good trip :chevy:

Check here: http://www.mackinac.com/

I've stayed at Mission Point a few times, great place!

Accomodations can be pricey on the island, maybe do a night there and stay someplace else on the 'mainland' the rest of the time.

• 4 weeks later...
I live in the milwaukee are and next year i was going to take the family on a one week trip around the lake to mackinak island for a few days.  I was there years ago when i was a little kid and i remember it being a lot of fun.

My question is, we want to just stay on the island for two or three nights and then stay somewhere in michigan for a few more nights, what are some good spots to go to?  I've got a 7 year old daughter and a 4 month old son, so something fun for her and baby friendly. (obviously next year she'll be 8 and he'll be almost 1-1/2)

Sounds like a good trip :chevy:

Check here: http://www.mackinac.com/

I've stayed at Mission Point a few times, great place!

Accomodations can be pricey on the island, maybe do a night there and stay someplace else on the 'mainland' the rest of the time.

That was my thought, for the extra 50-100 bucks a night to stay on the island we might just stay on the mainland and take the ferry over. Plus with the baby that's a bunch of extra stuff to haul on the ferry ride over.

I'll 2nd the Tahquamenon area. The falls are awesome to see. We ride the snow-machines all through there. Also, near Paradise, is Whitefish Point. Some stuff to do there also. Mackinaw is pricey. Recommend upsizing the diaper bag for travel and do the mainland stay. You can cut your costs in half...

Archived