Lights Dim

That seems like the obvious but I have I high wattage aftermarket stereo system in it with no capacitor and that will barely make the lights dim cranked up. I can even run it with the truck off for over an hour and no problems at start up.

Your probably right, I just I thought I would see it in these areas.........or wouldn't I

Do the lights dim without the stereo on at a stop? I know you have aftermarket equipment but I definitely used to notice my lights would dim more at a stop than while driving. That bass really caused the lights to dim while stationary. You might just want to add a cap to see? Couldn't hurt, I'll tell you it definitely solved my problem. No dimming now whatsoever.

It's not that kind of dimming. It seems like it's made to do that.

As I slow down to the stop sign, the lights dim with the engine rpm. At a certain rpm the lights will resume their normal shine. While I am at a stop with the truck in gear the lights are fine. Its like the alternator has a slip clutch or something.

Or maybe there is a pause when the lights start to draw power from battery instead of the alternator.

I don't see the charging system gauge move to justify what is happening?

anymore thoughts?

Prob. gonna need a bigger altenator with all that stereo equiptment running and the lights on plus the alt trying to keep the battery up is putting a strain on the alt,try putting the truck in netural and bring the rpm up and see if the lights come up to normal, 105 amp alt isnt much for all the stereo equiptment.

Archived