Steering wheel shake

I have an 01 Tahoe LT 4X4. It has about 48,XXX miles on it. I sometimes get steering wheel shake. It isn't major where it jerks it out of my hand, but I can feel it shaking. It isn't at certain speeds and it doesn't do it all the time.

I had the original rims and tires on (16") and it did it. I know have new 20" rims and tires and it still does it. If I am driving and let go of the steering wheel I can actually see the steering wheel shaking back and forth. Nothing to cause me to swerve off the road, but it is noticeable.

Any ideas?

Check your idler arm. It's the steering component on the passenger side that anchors the tie rod to the frame via the idler arm pivoting. If the bearings on the idler arm are worn, the tie rod can oscillate or jiggle and it will do it only sometimes and only at certain road speeds like 30 or 40 mph.

If this sounds like your truck, with the engine off, cup your hand over the idler arm's bearings and have a helper lightly move the steering wheel 2 or 3 inches right and left, and if there's play in the idler arm bearings you'll feel it in your hand.

Archived