Trans Gauge Question

C & A s Dad

Question

I am going to add trans temp gauge to my 02 Yukon XL because I tow a camper at times. I do not want to drill a hole in my trans pan for the sensor and have found a large brass tee in which I can place in line and have the sensor located in the Tee. This Tee is large enough so it will not restrict the flow. I also have a nice aftermarket trans cooler replacing the small factory unit so I already have some rubber connettions where I can add the tee and the sensor.

My question is, do I add the sensor behind the cooler or in front of it? If the sensor was installed in the pan, it would be reading the temp of fluid after its had come through the cooler. For this reason, I feel the sensor should go behind the cooler. I just want it to be reading the temp as close to a fatory gauge as possible.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

0 answers to this question

I did the Cluster Swap on my '01 Yukon 4 years ago.

GM part# is 15059383

Here is what it looks like Cluster With Temperature Guage

Bought it from GM PARTS DIRECT Site Sponsor.

Wow, The cost has really gone up since I purchased Mine.

It is really a Plug and Play. Takes maybe 15 minutes if you really take your time.

NOTE: NOT ALL MODEL YEARS USE THE SAME GM PART # (the part for my '01

may not be the correct cluster for your '02) check for the correct

part number for your year!

I tow a travel trailer and am very happy with the performance of the factory 2500 dash cluster. It really set me at ease when I'm pulling 8% grades and the tranny temp is below 200° F.

Thanks for the info. I am either going to do this or I am also looking at a gauge / monitor form areoforce. It montiors up to 28 funtions and plugs into the OBDII test port. It cost about $220.00. I am going to check on the 2500 cluster and see how it compares.

Also my Father is in the Salvage business. He may be able to find me one.

A couple of questions if you don't mind.

Are your running the factory trans cooler or have you upgraded it? 200 degrees is great on a grade if you are in any type of hot weather.

How big and heavy is the camper you are towing.

I am just wondering how your truck handles the trailer. My camper has not yet come in and I am anxious to get it behind my Yukon XL. Everyone tells me that I will have not problem especially with the 4.10 gears.

Again thanks for the info on the cluster.

I did a search on this subject after I posted this question and I found some comments concerning this. My truck has a trans temp light so you are right the trans temp is being monitored.

I would much rather keep it stock looking in the dash and change the cluster to a 2500 cluster with a gauge if someone would tell me for sure that this will work.

If anyone has done this and could share any info, I would appreciate it.

Thanks for the info. I am either going to do this or I am also looking at a gauge / monitor form areoforce. It montiors up to 28 funtions and plugs into the OBDII test port. It cost about $220.00. I am going to check on the 2500 cluster and see how it compares.

Are your running the factory trans cooler or have you upgraded it? 200 degrees is great on a grade if you are in any type of hot weather.

I am just wondering how your truck handles the trailer. My camper has not yet come in and I am anxious to get it behind my Yukon XL. Everyone tells me that I will have not problem especially with the 4.10 gears.

I have a '01 Yukon w/ factory tow Pkg (factory external trans cooler) 3.73 rear axle & 5.3

I tow a '22 foot trailer loaded it's been on a CAT scale tipping 5,200 lbs.

The 8% mountain grades are in the North Carolina (Smoky Mtns) on Hwy 441, usuall in the summer time with outside ambient temperatures in the upper 80's to low 90's. Second gear 45 - 50 Mph (approx legal speeds) w/ plenty of pedal left if I wanted to Push it.

I have seen the AeroForce before, but the cost is a little bit high. It does give you a lot of information thouigh. Attaches to your OBDI port.

B.T.W. I change my Trans oil & filter once a year just to be safe due to the towing I do.

Flat land towing tranny temp stays just under the engine water coolant temp

(190F)

I have a '01 Yukon w/ factory tow Pkg (factory external trans cooler) 3.73 rear axle & 5.3

I tow a '22 foot trailer loaded it's been on a CAT scale tipping 5,200 lbs.

The 8% mountain grades are in the North Carolina (Smoky Mtns) on Hwy 441, usuall in the summer time with outside ambient temperatures in the upper 80's to low 90's. Second gear 45 - 50 Mph (approx legal speeds) w/ plenty of pedal left if I wanted to Push it.

I have seen the AeroForce before, but the cost is a little bit high. It does give you a lot of information thouigh. Attaches to your OBDI port.

B.T.W. I change my Trans oil & filter once a year just to be safe due to the towing I do.

Flat land towing tranny temp stays just under the engine water coolant temp

(190F)

My camper is 6100 dry making it aroud 6500 loaded. I have a good friend who owns a nationaly franchised trans shop and he advised me to replace the factory cooler with a larger one. He said the factory cooler was a very good stacked plate design, just too small. Being in the auto parts business, i was familiar with this design cooler so I just replaced mine with a 12x12 unit. I also went for the Amsoil syn fluid and completely flushed all of the old fluid. From what you are telling me, I likely do not even need a gauge but I can't help it. A trans warning light that comes on at 250 degrees does not give me much comfort.

Thanks again for the info. It is greatly appreciated.

Archived