Engine swaps

Anyone with any info on swapping this engine (4.2 I6) into a GMC Canyon?  This should be a pretty straitforward deal!

Nope. The engine and trans assembly is too long for the Canyon. This has been discussed over on coloradofans.com and the general consensus is that unless you're willing to do a lot of modification like finding a way to push the firewall back to clear the block and upper trans, the I-6 ain't a bolt in application. A better way to go would be an LS1/LS2. It has been done before with no major modifications outside of the hardware.

Anyone with any info on swapping this engine (4.2 I6) into a GMC Canyon?  This should be a pretty straitforward deal!

Nope. The engine and trans assembly is too long for the Canyon. This has been discussed over on coloradofans.com and the general consensus is that unless you're willing to do a lot of modification like finding a way to push the firewall back to clear the block and upper trans, the I-6 ain't a bolt in application. A better way to go would be an LS1/LS2. It has been done before with no major modifications outside of the hardware.

I've done some engine swaps in the past. What if?: I can get my 5 sp. manual to adapt, it should just be a matter of moving the rad and AC condenser forward 3.5 in.(which would require some sheetmetal surgery and electric cooling fans ahead of same), and fabbing new mounts or adaptors. This can't be a huge deal. To hell with chopping the firewall! Whatcha figure folks?

Why would you want to do that much fabrication to fit the I-6 when you could do a V-8 for probably less money and considerably less time/effort. I would love to see a standard cab 2wd canyon/colorado with an LS1 and T56 6-speed. That would be one crazy fast truck if you could get the rear tires to hook up. :crazy:

Archived