Intermittent Horn?

I was just wondering if anyone else has had problems with the horn intermittently working? Now, before you think I am a complete idiot, yes I tried all areas of the horn in case it wasn't making contact. I can push the horn for 10 minutes and not a sound, then I can stop for a minute, and push it and it works fine. I'm not sure what kind of "switch" or "contact" is underneath the horn cushion that maybe isn't aligned right so unless its sitting a certain way, it wont make contact and produce the sound? It's still under warranty so I can ask them to fix that while they replace my left rear taillight assembly for having moisture in it all the time. But if theres an easy fix, I'd rather do it myself :) Thanks.

Mine did the exact same s**t. Annoying, isn't it?

In general I'd have to hit the horn 3-4 times before it would beep. I took it in under warranty, service manager told me the mechanic got it a little better by fiddling with the ground wire, but that they ended up replacing the horn anyway.

Unfortunately, the fact that the horn sounds like its coming from a little bitch car isn't something that the warranty will cover. :)

Mine did the exact same s**t. Annoying, isn't it?

In general I'd have to hit the horn 3-4 times before it would beep. I took it in under warranty, service manager told me the mechanic got it a little better by fiddling with the ground wire, but that they ended up replacing the horn anyway.

Unfortunately, the fact that the horn sounds like its coming from a little bitch car isn't something that the warranty will cover.  :)

LOL! That was my next complaint. I just need to make sure the d**n thing works first. I have an electronic airhorn as part of my siren unit, but that sounds just as crappy. Might look into an actual airhorn. I've seen a few people on here put the compressor in the engine compartment and mount the horns underneath on the frame rail. I guess I'll have to have them replace whatever they need to do at the Generals expense.

You might try replacing the horn relay. It is easy to replace (plugs in under the hood) is a $5-10 part. At worst it will do nothing to fix your problem but also will damage nothing in trying. Sometimes the contacts can have dirt and make intermittant contact.

If you have the key on and the hood open with the engine not running and the relay/fuse center cover removed you should be able to hear the relay clicking every time you press the horn button. If you hear the click without the horn sounding this is probably your problem.

Archived