Distributer Problem

Redneck8724

Question

ok every once in awhile like after a week or so my truck will die no matter where i am (highway street park and running). now for me to fix it or to make it run again i take off the distributer cap and put it back on and it starts up. now it will run for a few seconds or it will run for a couple days after i did that. its been doing that for the past few months..someone told me it was the pick-up coil inside the distributer. im not sure if thats it or sumthing else cuz i dont want to buy sumthing that has nothing to do with the problem...

what do u guys think?

you can also ask me questions about the problem if it didnt really make sence from what i typed.

0 answers to this question

ok well i replaced the cap and rotor 3 times now the 3rd time was cuz the rotor was grinding on the top of the cap so i had to replace those 2 and the wires were done twice...so im not sure wat to buy should i just buy a whole new distributer and see if tht does it? my only thing with that though is that old saying: its an old vehical dont fix sumthing if not broken and dont get new s**t put in....

ok thanks lemme no what to do

My truck was doing the same thing about 4 months ago, I changed the distributor out because it was quicker and easier than tearing the distributor apart to change the pickup, (is it a pickup coil or I dont know what it 's correct name is anyway), everything has been fine since then.

I also just had some trouble with a cap going bad at only 4 months old, The spring loaded carbon coil to rotor pin

(? what would its correct name be ? )

Anyway it's circuit was interupted sporadically when checked for continuity depending on which way the carbon tip was pushed. I guess go for the pickup-(coil) and check your cap with a VOM. Good Luck

Could be the pick up coil, could also be the coil wire from the coil to the cap. Make sure there is no corrosion at the coil. Could be cap and rotor. I would say you are on the right track if it runs right after you remove the cap. I would replace the cap, rotor and wires with AC DELCO components. Please do not go to the zone. If you still have a problem then go after the pick up coil and replace the main shaft at the same time. The magnet on the shaft is common to develop cracks.

10-4 ill probilly replace the distributer and see wat happens...thanks

any more suggestions u may have please post.. thank you ill see wat i can do for now

I had the same problem a while back...very frustrating.

I checked all my wire connections to the distributer and then replaced the cap and rotor. Because it was an intermitant problem it ran fine after that until one day it died again.

This time I turned the motor so the timing marks were at #1 TDC, marked the distributer position by noting where the rotor was pointing and marking it down by the block, pulled it and replaced these two parts below...a coil and ???...it has been a while since I did this.

coil.jpg

It seems like I recall there was some pin or something that I needed to pull out of the distributor shaft to do this but I could be wrong as it has been a long time since doing this.

It has run great ever since.

Archived