Rain leak-93 Suburban

This is a 93 2500 series Suburban. I have owned this truck for about 3 months and have had it parked in the garage most of the time. Recently, I parked it outside for a couple of weeks and we had several heavy rains. I now have discovered that the whole rear carpeted area is soaking wet. Also wet down the driver side all the way to the front drivers seat. I did a close look for possible leak areas, but nothing obvious. I removed the carpet to door plastic threshold covers on the driver's side and there was standing water in the metal channel underneath. That makes me think that the leak is somewhere along the drivers side, the most likely place being along the top rubber seal of the large glass window in the rear on the driver's side. However, it could be anywhere in the rear area since the whole rear area was soaking wet..

Is this a common problem and where is the most likely place for such a significant leak? Thanks, Bill

I own a 99 Suburban with tailgate and I get some water also in the back sometimes. I noticed the top hatch seal sometimes has junk like pine needles or even a leaf that can easily allow water to come in if it doesn't seal tight. Also the top rear hatch needs to be adjusted properly so it seals tight when closed. My water problems are inconsistant compared to yours and very small to only allow the carpet to be damp. It's damp just against the rear tailgate occasionally only. You seem to have a pretty big problem if it gets all the way to the front. Better check all your door seals mainly at the top to see if the doors close properly (hinge pins & bushings worn out) or simply bad seals considering they are 14 years old. Sorry can't help more than that but I'll ask around here for more info.

Cheers

I own a 99 Suburban with tailgate and I get some water also in the back sometimes. I noticed the top hatch seal sometimes has junk like pine needles or even a leaf that can easily allow water to come in if it doesn't seal tight. Also the top rear hatch needs to be adjusted properly so it seals tight when closed. My water problems are inconsistant compared to yours and very small to only allow the carpet to be damp. It's damp just against the rear tailgate occasionally only. You seem to have a pretty big problem if it gets all the way to the front. Better check all your door seals mainly at the top to see if the doors close properly (hinge pins & bushings worn out) or simply bad seals considering they are 14 years old. Sorry can't help more than that but I'll ask around here for more info.

Cheers

I have checked all the likely rubber seals, doors, windows, etc., and haven't found anything definite yet. I did find dirt and trash in the side rubber seals of the glass top half of the rear door. I vacuumed all that out. The top rubber seal of the glass door seemed clear of trash and appears to seal correctly.

I have seen no evidence of water running down any place inside that is visible. It seems to be coming in behind the plastic covers that cover the metal frame members and running down inside to the floor level and then spreading out under the carpet in the rear. And also running forward on the driver's side in the channel under the door thresholds, wetting the carpet along that side, as well. Because of the locations of the wettest parts, I am inclined to think it is coming in on the driver side rear. There is a large fixed glass window on each side in the rear and they have a rubber seal all around. The seal is covered on the outside by a black plastic cover that prevents inspection. If I could remove that plastic cover, then I think I might find the leak. Any ideas on how to get this cover off without doing damage to it? Bill

Bill,

I have no good experience removing exterior seals and especially when they are 5+ years old. I'm pretty sure it will crack or get damaged if you attemp to remove. This might sound extreme but removing the inside trim is a lot better and you stand an excelent chance of not damaging it. You would surely be able to see where that water is coming from. Water leaks in cars and trucks are frustrating as hell that I know first hand. I'm the second owner on my Suby, my previous employer was the original owner. The rear hatch occasional leak is the only leaking problem I have.

My Dad's 86 Cady had a leak in the trunk that filled one of the wheel well pockets on a good rainy day. It lasted 2 months and stoped, we never found the leak and hasn't occured again. That was 5 years ago and the Cady is in mint condition, all original paint included.

Cheers

John

• 2 months later...
Bill,

I have no good experience removing exterior seals and especially when they are 5+ years old. I'm pretty sure it will crack or get damaged if you attemp to remove. This might sound extreme but removing the inside trim is a lot better and you stand an excelent chance of not damaging it. You would surely be able to see where that water is coming from. Water leaks in cars and trucks are frustrating as hell that I know first hand. I'm the second owner on my Suby, my previous employer was the original owner. The rear hatch occasional leak is the only leaking problem I have.

My Dad's 86 Cady had a leak in the trunk that filled one of the wheel well pockets on a good rainy day. It lasted 2 months and stoped, we never found the leak and hasn't occured again. That was 5 years ago and the Cady is in mint condition, all original paint included.

Cheers

John

Bill...I am currently having the same problem with my 94 Surburban barn door style....I am going order new seals if can't find the leak.

• 2 weeks later...

You may have already fixed the problem, but I will give you my experience and my fix anyway. My 95 Sub had the similar problem with the rear carpet getting wet. The rear barn door seals looked good, but I crawled in the back and had my wife use a garden hose and put water over the whole back of the truck. Sure enough, the water ran in near the bottom of the drivers door causing the carpet to get wet. After more experimenting, I still could not exactly determine which seal was defective. I went to the dealer and purchased all the rear door seals for the entire barn door area. That did it. No more leaks. I also lifted the carpeting in the back somewhat and wedged some 2x4's under the carpeting to allow it to airdry assisted with a fan. I have known that the carpet underlayment holds water and will rot the metal floorpan out, so I suggest take the time to lift the carpeting and dry it out. Good luck. It worked for me.

Just an additional thought... The rain water, if there was enough of it, could have ran down toward the front of the truck on the drivers side, depending on the pitch or angle the truck was parked while outside. If not, maybe the drivers side door seal(s) might be suspect. I would start with the rear barn door seals and let it go for a bit after the carpeting dries. You could than use the garden hose along the drivers side if you think that would be the problem. I just had the water pouring from the open garden hose without a nozzle, as additional pressure from a nozzle may not duplicate a rain. Again, good luck with it.

A check of the (barn) door(s) for hinge pin wear may also play into the leak. I had also replaced the rear barn door hinge pins in addition to the rear seals on the doors. I had forgot about that with my last entries. If you have a lot of "play" in the hinge pins, which you can check by lifting up on the open door, the seals alone may not do the trick. I had about 175,000 on the truck when I replaced the pins...

Good luck, hope it helps.

Archived