4x4 Grinding Noise...2006 Z71

Need2Know

Question

dang, i worked in the automotive service business for a few years and always was skeptical of the customers who were in every week with a different noise to hunt. This is a 2006 z71 w/ 6000 miles.

Now i feel like i'm getting in that boat. previously i've complained about the low-speed squeal from the front end (still doing it) and now after having the opportunity to use 4wd for the first time, there's a mild grinding noise while running in 4hi. Not very loud and pretty much intermittent, but it's there and i had a 2002 2500 4x4, w/ electronic transfer case, that didn't do that.

again, forum, need help and advice. i'm way out of school on automotive issues, besides, i was a writer.

0 answers to this question

dang, i worked in the automotive service business for a few years and always was skeptical of the customers who were in every week with a different noise to hunt. This is a 2006 z71 w/ 6000 miles.

Now i feel like i'm getting in that boat. previously i've complained about the low-speed squeal from the front end (still doing it) and now after having the opportunity to use 4wd for the first time, there's a mild grinding noise while running in 4hi. Not very loud and pretty much intermittent, but it's there and i had a 2002 2500 4x4, w/ electronic transfer case, that didn't do that.

again, forum, need help and advice. i'm way out of school on automotive issues, besides, i was a writer.

I have the EXACT same problem on my 03' Denali AWD. It's almost like a rubbing noise at low speeds. I already replaced the front left hub bearing because I figured that was it, but it is still there. I have also already checked the brakes all the way around and they are good. I am at a loss. My wife can't stand the noise, drives her crazy.

I just had this problem fixed on my truck. The dealer told me that the right front hub assembly was completely worn out. Keep in mind this is at 16K miles. Completely covered under warranty. My service advisor informed me that GM used inferior hub assemblies for the better part of the 2006 model year and that he sees the same problem on the same year truck about 8-10 times each month.

Drain the front diff fluid into a clean container and check for metal. Probably bearings.

I get a bit of a howl in my '05 Sierra and just had the front diff worked on (at the dealer) because fluid was leaking out. The howl is aduible even in Auto 4wd.

Something to be worried about?

Thanks!

Archived