Ethanol Vs Methanol

E85 is a mixture of 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline. I have a source of Methanol at a pretty good price. Basically making M85 for about $1.85 gallon.

My question is: As both are alcohols, the ethanol is grain alcohol and the Methanol is Wood Alcohol, is it possible to run the M85 in a flexfuel vehicle?

For the chemist out there, ethanol is C2H5OH and methanol is CH3OH.

Thanks in advance..

dj

E85 is a mixture of 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline. I have a source of Methanol at a pretty good price. Basically making M85 for about $1.85 gallon.

My question is: As both are alcohols, the ethanol is grain alcohol and the Methanol is Wood Alcohol, is it possible to run the M85 in a flexfuel vehicle?

For the chemist out there, ethanol is C2H5OH and methanol is CH3OH.

Thanks in advance..

dj

Nope. Methanol will destroy your entire fuel system, even a flex fuel one.

Im not sure what the proper ratio of air to fuel is, but im pretty sure its well off of Ethanol. M85 is also illegal on the street, AFAIK.

• 4 months later...

Methanol (sometimes called wood alcohol) can be made from various biomass resources like wood), as well as from coal. However, today nearly all methanol is made from natural gas, because it is cheaper.

Methanol is also very poisonous and very harmful if swallowed. Methanol must not be confused with ethanol. As with gasoline, it is also wise to avoid skin contact with methanol, as it can pass through the skin.

Yet ANOTHER dredged up old post!

Hey DJ this was written way back in May of 07...

Methanol is a completly different animal. I would think the rubber lines and pump would suffer from it since they are not designed for its use... maybe even the plastic tank!

just my .02 worth.

Methanol is a completly different animal. I would think the rubber lines and pump would suffer from it since they are not designed for its use... maybe even the plastic tank!

just my .02 worth.

I think he was just trying to find posts to reply to so he could start his own thread.

Methanol destroys almost every synthetic out there which is why they always use stainless steel fuel systems for it. However you can put methanol fires out with plain water which is very convienent for race tracks.

just my .02 worth.

I think he was just trying to find posts to reply to so he could start his own thread.

Replies to old threads beats adding another "Will these tires fit my truck?" Thread.

I know it is an old post but I thought I would add that the refueling stations that have M85 have completely different nozzles. They are Nickel Plated as opposed to the nozzles that dispenser E85 are essenially the same (depending on state/county) as the nozzles that dispense conventional fuel.

Archived