Why Stop At E-85

Yes a vehicle can run on 100% ethanol. The reason that the united states has not adopted it is because of the colder climates. E85 already has a tough time igniting when the temperatures drop during the winter. E100 would leave a lot of motorist stranded when it becomes cold outside.

Is it possible to make an engine run on 100% ethanol?

I read that new vehicles in Brazil can run on 100% gasoline or 100% ethanol or any percentage combination. Is it that difficult to do so?

Yes it is possible but it comes at a cost of gas fuel economy.

The transition to E85 can be done within 75% of the maximum efficiency of either fuel within the timing and fuel delivery, but with E100 to get a somewhat efficient setup the engine must be tuned for E100 (higher compression and faster timing), these engines don't really utilize gas they just run on it. For example, the same 350 that gets 16 mpg on gas in the US, m would get closer to 12 mpg on gas if it was a E100/Gas Flex.

• 1 month later...
100% ETOH would be regulated by the ATF. Adding 15% gasoline renders it undrinkable. The ATF is no longer concerned with the ETOH from a drinking & taxing point of view.

You are correct but it doesn't have to be 15% gasoline to make it undrinkable. Denatured ethanol comes from any addition of another compound (typically of similar boiling point to make distilling difficult) that either makes it noxious or toxic. Wood alcohol (methanol) is a commonly used. Methanol is also used during the biodiesel process if you're into that aspect of stuff (VP racing fuels is a good source btw).

15% gasoline is because it is relatively cheap in comparison to other denaturants and it makes the vehicle tremendously easier to start in colder weather. In fact e85 isn't always 85% ethanol either especially in northern midwest states as the average temperature drops they add more and more gasoline to the mix (which is why flex fuel vehicles have an ethanol % sensor).

Also you may want to remember that the united states still is sitting on the largest oil reserves in the world. We're just using up everybody else's oil first.

hell i would just be happy to have E85 as a choice in town ...

I know that it's quite a distance away (200miles), but Louisiana's first E85 station recently opened in Sulfur off I-10 near the TX state line.

I'm wondering how long until one opens around Shreveport? That's actually closer to me than the ones around DFW.

• 3 weeks later...
E85 is $2.39 in Albany, NY

Like was already said 15% gas is for cold weather starts.

Im in Binghamton NY and we dont even have it here, not to mention

my new 2007 v8/4 aluminum block wont even run on it

my 2002 had an e85 sticker on the gas door

• 2 weeks later...

The ATF considers denatured ethanol E98. 2% gas is enough to make it toxic. We run E85 for two reasons:

1. Cooler days - the 15% gas makes it easier to start.

2. Lubrication - the 15% gas helps to lubricate the fuel pump, injectors and engine top end.

E85 pumps become E70 in the winter to assist with the cold starting. I was talking to the guys at www.change2E85.com about their E85 conversion kits and E100. They said that their conversion kits can run E100 in any auto. You will need to add some lubrication or Mystery Oil to the gas with E100. They said that they have many customers who run E98 since they work at distilleries or buy direct.

The ATF considers denatured ethanol E98. 2% gas is enough to make it toxic. We run E85 for two reasons:

1. Cooler days - the 15% gas makes it easier to start.

2. Lubrication - the 15% gas helps to lubricate the fuel pump, injectors and engine top end.

E85 pumps become E70 in the winter to assist with the cold starting. I was talking to the guys at www.change2E85.com about their E85 conversion kits and E100. They said that their conversion kits can run E100 in any auto. You will need to add some lubrication or Mystery Oil to the gas with E100. They said that they have many customers who run E98 since they work at distilleries or buy direct.

Absolutely excellent answer. :cheers:

Archived