How Often Do You Trade Your Truck?

How often do you trade your truck?

Is it miles on odometer or a specific number of years.

Or are you just an impulse buyer and one day you wake up and go and trade in your old truck?

I mean, is there any formula you use to trade in for a new truck?

Also, do you trade in at new car dealer or sell your old truck privately?

I average every 2 or 3 years or 20-30k miles. I always trade in at the dealer because I dont have the time or patience to sell an expensive car and in my state the trade in value isnt taxed and our tax here is like 9% (theyre trying to jack it up to 12%!). Between not buying extended warranties (never for anything) and not spending anything on repairs Im happy. I had an 01 S-10 that I wanted to keep forever but it was a lemon. I hope to keep my Sierra alot longer unless my needs change or it isnt as trouble free as all of my Hondas and Toyotas have been.

I am getting back to just leasing or smart buying them in my case. I just typically go 2 year 24k, there is always a pull ahead offer toward the end in case I am running a little over on miles. I have tried the paying cash, and the depreciation is just killing me, I seem to come out a lot better just doing the smart buy. Like in the case of my Z71 Suburban, it stickered for 52k, I am paying 500.00 month for 2 years, the residual value is 39k, and I would be lucky if it would bring 28k in actual trade in value 2 years from now, So the way I look at I can lease a 50k + truck for 500 a month and swap it out for another one every 2 years and never spend a dime on it other than a couple oil changes, thats by far the best bet for me. Plus I can keep my cash invested and making me money instead of setting there depreciating away, like it has been on some of the trucks I paid cash for. Every situation is different, but moving forward I am planning to lease or smart buy most of the vehichels in the future.

I get the bug for a new truck after about two years. I start my "research" into what I want next (I have no brand loyalty but I must say I am most impressed with my new GMC!) and I always order my new truck exactly the way I want it and then wait the 6 to 8 weeks to take delivery of a fresh, no mile truck. I always trade in my old truck and pay the difference with a check.

My personal truck I keep till I get tired of it, which right now is a 2000 model with around 125,000 miles on it. My work truck is every 2 years like clockwork and that usually winds up around 100,000 miles give or take.

Almost always I have someone wanting it ahead of time since they know we get rid of them at the same time each year. So I just buy a new one and then sell the old one.

My GMT900 arrived just after my 40th birthday. It is the 4th vehicle I have owned (I've never leased). I kept the last two for 9 1/2 yrs, and about 150,000 miles. Traded in the first two, sold the last one.

Thanks, just curious, how much did you get for that used truck with those miles?

My GMT900 arrived just after my 40th birthday. It is the 4th vehicle I have owned (I've never leased). I kept the last two for 9 1/2 yrs, and about 150,000 miles. Traded in the first two, sold the last one.

Thanks, just curious, how much did you get for that used truck with those miles?

It was a ECSB 2wd, fleetside, 5.7l, 4sp, bucket seats, no 3rd door. I was offered $5,500 to trade, but I sold it for $6,500.

Bought a 67 C-10 in 96. 11 years (d**n time flies) and about 40K later, I still have it.

I had a couple different 86 Toyota trucks I kept 3-4 years and put about 50K each on them. One went to the junkyard (motor blew and the truck was junk) and I sold the second privately for $900.

Had the Silverado for 3 years and put 40K on it. Plan on keeping it 'till at least 200K. That's at least another 92K.

If I had the money I'd get a new truck every few years, but I don't. I like not making payments. Mine are paid for :confused:

you're 40 and have only had 4 vehicles?!

wow i'm 23 and i'm on number 7 :confused:

but then again, my dad is like 56 and has had just under 50 vehicles in his lifetime

oh and i'm leasing my truck...maybe buy it after 36months

And I got my first when I started driving at 16... it seems I have some catching up to do ... not!

My father-in-law buys his with the GM employee discount and trades in under 15k. Usually gets the top of the line model. At one point in the past, those guys use to make money buy trading in like that. Now, he basically pays around $1500 difference between what they give him to what he pays for a new one. But here's the important part, he waits till the incentives are good and the dealer has something he wants.

I have been told there are 2 cut-offs for getting a good trade-in value. Under 15k miles you get the best price, then under 60k miles is the next step. There seems to be something about over 60k, the value drops on the trucks. Not sure why. I am betting 100k miles is also another drop.

Just a some facts and my 2-cents.

Lance

Archived