Can A Factory Trailer Brake Controller Be Added?

He is correct,It cannot be added.

We've discussed this many times....There are too many parts that are either different,or that need changed out.

The brake master cylinder,booster & chassis wiring harness are just a few of the parts that are different.

You would also need to add the switch,brake controller module,relay & dash trim piece to just name a few of the new parts needed.

Your truck also must have Stabilitrak,You also would need to get the BCM reprogrammed,And thats if the dealer would be willing to try and reprogram it,most won't due to liability issues.

Rather then going with the factory controller, I would recommend the Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller. Probably cheaper then the factory one, but more reliable. I have not used a factory one, but I have never had an ounce of trouble with the Prodigy.

I am going to have one installed on my 2008 also. I was told to make sure its a "Proportional" type as those are the best. Such as the Tekonsha P3 and they have direct plug in wire harness's for new GM trucks according to advertising.

• 1 month later...

Odd, I had the techs at the dealer I work for look this up the other day on gmdealerworld and they say just the opposite of what you all have been saying.

They say that you can't install an aftermarket control and that you have to install the GM ITBC.

• 1 year later...
Odd, I had the techs at the dealer I work for look this up the other day on gmdealerworld and they say just the opposite of what you all have been saying.

They say that you can't install an aftermarket control and that you have to install the GM ITBC.

Yeah they were wrong. As stated above, we all went through this on my previous '07, and it isnt possible. I went with the P3, the wiring is right there below the dash. Works great.

Archived