What To Do With My 305?

The 305 is in a 1995 Chevy C1500.

I've been thinking about beefing up my 305, but, is it even worth the money? I've also thought about pulling my 305 out and maybe going with a 383 stroker. Where could I find a good deal on a 383 if I was to do an engine swap? :O

The 305 is in a 1995 Chevy C1500.

I've been thinking about beefing up my 305, but, is it even worth the money? I've also thought about pulling my 305 out and maybe going with a 383 stroker. Where could I find a good deal on a 383 if I was to do an engine swap? :O

i think i would let it ride like it is for a while anless money is not a problem ! lot of changes going from a 305 to a 383 .

This is about the only thing I would use a 305 for...

chevygrill.jpg

chevygrill2.jpg

chevygrill3.jpgchevygrill4.jpg

As far as changing to a 383 it will be basically bolt in, but where you are going to run into problems is the transmission, the computer, and the TBI unit. The tranny is not going to want to handle the power of the 383 without a rebuild/beef up. You will have to get a custom burned chip since your 95 is an OBD1 system, you can't just reflash it. The 305 injectors will not adequately feed the 383. The will need upgraded.

Can it be done? Yep.

Is this the type of project you want to take on? Only you can decide.

I did the swap pretty eaisly. just do your research and make sure all bases are covered. The biggest problem I ran into was the exhaust system. I finially found a set of headers I liked and had a local shop cusom build the rest of the system. As for the computer, call jesse bubb at www.wait4meperformance.com. he did my flash and I have never looked back. My 383 was custom built by a race motor guy and after changing the radaitor, adding fans, exhaust system and motor, I have about $15k invested. I have an additional $5k in other mods since then and I am not finished yet.

Yeah it is a project I plan on taking on, I will be getting a new tranny with it as well.

Where could I get a burned chip and the TBI unit would be a 4 barrel Carb instead of a 2 barrel that I have with the 305 right? :P

Your TBI unit will still be a "2-barrel" job. You can buy a larger ported unit from xtremefi.com and bigger injectors to feed the beast.

-Mike

ACTUALLY, the 305 reacts very well to long tube headers and nitrous. We have a guy at our local drag strip that runs a 2 bolt main 305 / turbo 350 combo in a 73 Nova and it runs very consistent 12.80s on pump gas. The motor has been together three seasons and it costs him almost nothing to keep alive. Like the others, I would rather have a 350 4 bolt motor but in a pinch the 305 isn't bad. I know this isn't normal hotrod thinking but it works great for him.

This is about the only thing I would use a 305 for...

chevygrill.jpg

chevygrill2.jpg

chevygrill3.jpgchevygrill4.jpg

As far as changing to a 383 it will be basically bolt in, but where you are going to run into problems is the transmission, the computer, and the TBI unit. The tranny is not going to want to handle the power of the 383 without a rebuild/beef up. You will have to get a custom burned chip since your 95 is an OBD1 system, you can't just reflash it. The 305 injectors will not adequately feed the 383. The will need upgraded.

Can it be done? Yep.

Is this the type of project you want to take on? Only you can decide.

Wow that's freakin cool!

Archived