2009 Z71 Rough Ride Improvement?

Hello all, first post here...

Just bought a new 2009 sliverado Z71 4x4 crewcab, I traded in my 1999 silverado extended cab 4x4.

The salesman said the ride was a little firmer/better handling on the z71 and that it had gas shocks

With 1,000 kms now on the new truck i find it to be a lot rougher/stiffer ride. My old truck had a fiberglass cap(350 lbs) and and tools (400lbs) in the box.....so about 750 lbs average weight in the box.

I have yet to carry anything in the new truck.

My questions....

1. will adding 700-1000 lbs cargo to the box of the new truck smoothout the ride?

or

2. Do I need to change to shocks to the type offered on the 4x4 silverado.

3.what stiffens the ride on the z71? is it the shocks? the stabilizer bars?(i believe the 4x4 doesn`t have one)

Are the springs/coils heavier on the z71? from looking at them on a 4x4, they seem the same.

from my research after the purchase (dumb I know) it seems the z71 badging is ... skid plates,jounce bumpers,heavier shocks,decals.

I`m worried I`ve bought the wrong truck(I have a bad back and don`t like a rough ride)...I like everything alot and didn`t pay attention to the z71 features much and the test drive seemed smooth.

Thanks in advance if someone can can advise me on this, Ken

The weight in the rear will Help ALOT... If you put the same amount of weight in the new truck you had in the old, the ride will be better. But... if for some reason it doesn't, then new shocks would fix your ride.

I'm not sure why you think it rides so stiff. The new coil springs in the front offer a pretty dang nice ride, but the shocks could make some difference.

Steven

It is very subjective but my 09 crew cab rides smoothand I ve had several Silverados. I can tell you from experience that a 20 in wheels tire combo is not as smooth as a 17 or even 18 in. combo. The extra weight will also help smooth out the ride especially the amount you are talking about. Stick with it cause it s the best ride yet. Make sure you tires are at 35 psi or maybe try a little lower too.

The weight in the rear will Help ALOT... If you put the same amount of weight in the new truck you had in the old, the ride will be better. But... if for some reason it doesn't, then new shocks would fix your ride.

I'm not sure why you think it rides so stiff. The new coil springs in the front offer a pretty dang nice ride, but the shocks could make some difference.

Steven

+1

Try throwing on some Bilstein shocks.

I do have the 18`s, and bridgestone a/t tires but don`t think the difference would be noticable from 17`s

although the salesman did say the 20`s would not be as smooth on poor roads.

i will try adjusting the tire pressure...not sure what it is now actually...

can anyone say if the springs are the same across the board(gm half ton line-up)....and that the z71 just uses stiffer shocks.

....and just to qualify my statements...my back is quite sensitive....the ride is still good....but not as smooth as the 99'....maybe the old seat was softer/cushier.

I will adjust tire pressure and will be adding my tool boxes soon which will add 4-500 lbs

Thank-you for your replies.

I do have the 18`s, and bridgestone a/t tires but don`t think the difference would be noticable from 17`s

can anyone say if the springs are the same across the board(gm half ton line-up)....and that the z71 just uses stiffer shocks.

....and just to qualify my statements...my back is quite sensitive....the ride is still good....but not as smooth as the 99'....maybe the old seat was softer/cushier.

I will adjust tire pressure and will be adding my tool boxes soon which will add 4-500 lbs

I had an '06 GMC crew cab Z71 and now the NBS '07 Z71. They were identical setups down to the paint color and 17" rims. The '07 and up new body style trucks are MUCH smoother than the ones they replaced.

Add some weight to the back. The fiberglass cap I have helps a lot and if you add several hundred pounds beyond that, you will have a truck ride that many luxury cars would be jealous of.

The springs are the same in all 1/2 ton 1500's. The shocks are all thats different and even the Z71 shocks are used on other suspension packages.

Adding weight makes a big difference. Mine has a cap and use some sandbags in the winter which softens the ride. Tire pressures make a difference but prefer a stiffer ride so I keep them up near 40 depending on the load. Also went from a 10yr old truck to new...big difference between tired and new suspensions.

I can tell you for sure the Z71 All Terrain rides smoother than the regular Z71... and the only real difference is the Rancho shocks. Same Bridgestone Dueler A/T tires on 18" wheels, same springs, etc. You might look into a set of the Ranchos for your truck if the ride bothers you.

And yes, I can tell the rear bounces around more when I don't have anything loaded in the bed. I currently just have four 60-lb. bags of sand sitting directly on top of the rear axle, held in place with a frame I made out of 2x4s, and it does smooth out the ride. You'll take a hit on fuel economy with the extra weight, though.

I can tell you for sure the Z71 All Terrain rides smoother than the regular Z71... and the only real difference is the Rancho shocks. Same Bridgestone Dueler A/T tires on 18" wheels, same springs, etc. You might look into a set of the Ranchos for your truck if the ride bothers you.

And yes, I can tell the rear bounces around more when I don't have anything loaded in the bed. I currently just have four 60-lb. bags of sand sitting directly on top of the rear axle, held in place with a frame I made out of 2x4s, and it does smooth out the ride. You'll take a hit on fuel economy with the extra weight, though.

thanks, i will take a look and see which shocks i have.

i have also noticed on the digital tire pressure system that my bridgesone 18 a/t `s are at 40lbs.....i`ll reduce that to 35 as has been suggested.

i`ve yet to add any weight , but will be hauling some stuff this weekend and also a tandem utility trailer....so i`ll see how that feels

thanks, i will take a look and see which shocks i have.

i have also noticed on the digital tire pressure system that my bridgesone 18 a/t `s are at 40lbs.....i`ll reduce that to 35 as has been suggested.

i`ve yet to add any weight , but will be hauling some stuff this weekend and also a tandem utility trailer....so i`ll see how that feels

I have been going through the same thing with my nbs 07 silverado Z71 got 14000 miles and it has not really softened up much at all with the stock shocks/struts and 17" wranglers it is tight on rough on bad roads which there are alot of here in massachusetts I know the 20s would be a bit stiffer... Here is what I did..I added a shur trax bed bladder and it helped alot!!! you add water to it and it weighs anywhere from around 100-400 lbs depending on the amount of water you put in it. It is also very rugged and pretty much puncture proof.lays flat in your bed and you can place heavy items up to 500 lbs on top of it.... I am also currently going with new shocks ( stock Z83 shocks) and tires (tires with a different load/service rating) to smooth out the ride on the city roads. If you try the standard non Z71 truck with Z83 suspension and like it then buying those shocks/struts might be the way to go, there is a big difference. The Z85 and Z71 use the same shocks from what I have learned and the Z83 is different.

I lowered my tire pressure today from 40-42 to 35 all around. on my Bridgestone 18`s....and it has made a very noticeable difference.

Thanks to those who made that suggestion....I didn`t believe it would make that noticeable a difference. At 40+ lbs and the box empty I was feeling every crack/bump in the road

I`ll be adding weight/cargo which i`m hoping will make the ride even better.

I should add this truck corners very well, no leaning or mushiness. I guess there are trade off`s in different types of suspensions

Zeke, I have considered and others have advised changing the shocks, but I really HATE to have to buy new shocks to replace brand new shocks. I can`t afford it! That being said, if I have to I will as I`ll be driving this truck for at least 5 more years.

• 2 weeks later...

I too am looking to smooth out the ride of my 2007 Silverado. My kids are getting bounced around pretty good in the back seat. My truck in the MAX LTZ Crew with the Z60 "Performance Suspension Package". I'm thinking of moving from the 20" factory wheels back to a 17" and installing Bilstein shocks (like I had on the '99 Yukon).

Looking for anyone who's gone from the 20" wheel to a smaller diameter that can comment on ride change. Don't want to go through the expense if it's not going to make much of a difference.

Thanks,

Steve

PS. I think the weight distribution on these crew cab trucks has something to do with a bit more harsh ride as well...no science here, just what I've read. Sure likes to bounce around on these concrete freeways here in California.

I too am looking to smooth out the ride of my 2007 Silverado. My kids are getting bounced around pretty good in the back seat. My truck in the MAX LTZ Crew with the Z60 "Performance Suspension Package". I'm thinking of moving from the 20" factory wheels back to a 17" and installing Bilstein shocks (like I had on the '99 Yukon).

Looking for anyone who's gone from the 20" wheel to a smaller diameter that can comment on ride change. Don't want to go through the expense if it's not going to make much of a difference.

Thanks,

Steve

PS. I think the weight distribution on these crew cab trucks has something to do with a bit more harsh ride as well...no science here, just what I've read. Sure likes to bounce around on these concrete freeways here in California.

It's odd.....

I drove several trucks before I bought mine, both Z71s and Z60s. All of the Z71s I drove rode terrible, incredibly rough and stiff. The first truck with the Z60 suspension I drove road almost just like a Z71 (I drove the trucks back to back)...not pleasent. However, the truck I ended up buying has the Z60 suspension w/ 20" wheels and it drives like a Cadillac. It's MUCH smoother than my Tahoe that had the bilstein shocks, hell it's almost smoother than my wife's accord. Point is....the trucks even within the same suspension package ride completely different. I don't know if it's quality control or setup.....

Guess this doesn't help with your problems any though....

'07SilveradoMAX' - where do you live? There are tons of factory 17" wheels for sale around here CHEAP.

Archived