2005 Silverado Tachometer And Speedometer Problems.

robert.birchfield

Question

0 answers to this question

I have an '04 silverado with v6 and automatic. My cluster's speedo and tach quit working at 85k, well past the warranty repair. I've seen the ads for repair services and have thought of just replacing the cluster. I found a site online that states a new cluster with extra for programming the mileage, etc. other than that, it is supposedly 'plug and play'. I've also found a few for sale thru ebay. What model years would work; ie, 2003-2005, or 2003-2007? And could I get one for a v8 and not a v6 as the v8's seem to be more available? Would it really be 'plug and play' with a used one, or would it still have to be programmed to not set any cel's?

Thanks

I just recently replaced the stepper motor for my speedometer after fighting with the dealer over the fact that I was 5,000 miles over the extended warranty. They "were willing to work with me" and pay half. My "half" was $400. I bought a stepper motor off ebay for $10 and it took me about an hour. It's really pretty easy.

The speedometer and tachometer are showing erradic values while driving. The speedometer will reach the appropriate speed, then fall off and go back to zero. The tachometer will get stuck at weird RPM's, then a short while later will correct itself. What is wrong?

I also had a speedometer problem in my 2004 Chevrolet Silverado

the speedometer was not working at all and I found a website where I had it fixed for $140. That was a lot cheaper than the $700 that the dealer wanted to replace the instrument panel.

Here is the website

in case you want to check it out: http://www.speedometergaugerepair.com

If these problems both started happening at the same time, then I would think it would be an instrument cluster problem.

The signals for both of those head off to different directions and things, so the only thing in common is the instrument cluster electronic module. (And power / ground to that module.)

But as with all electronic problems, it is a good idea to check your battery voltage (should be 12 something volts with just ignition on/ 13/14 volts after starting), check that the battery terminals are clean and tight. Check main electrical wires from battery to be sure the connections are clean and tight. This includes a negative large cable from the battery to the body ground and to the engine block.

Also you can try removing the instrument cluster, then unplug the electrical connector, then plug it back in and be sure it is snug.

The speedometer and tachometer are showing erradic values while driving. The speedometer will reach the appropriate speed, then fall off and go back to zero. The tachometer will get stuck at weird RPM's, then a short while later will correct itself. What is wrong?

GM might replace it depending upon the mileage you have on your truck....I think the magic number is 70K but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe that is correct. We found out about it when they were still having it delayed in court. By the time it was done we were past that lovely number and you needed to have it documented by a dealership in order to have it fixed at their cost. Of course we didn't know that until they were done. Dealerships charge you $700+ to fix it.

the problem you more than likely have is the stepper motor inside the instrument cluster itself and eventually all six gauges will quit working there are services offered on ebay (not advertising them just saying) that will replace them and all bulbs in the cluster for something like $150 i just did this myself everything is soldered in and screwed my circuit board up now am having to buy a whole new cluster most people seem to have good luck replacing them themselves but i didn't but like i said more than likely the stepper motor

GM might replace it depending upon the mileage you have on your truck....I think the magic number is 70K but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

i had it. gm will replace it if u have less than 7 yrs 70,000. i have an 04 sierra. speedo went erratic. i was driving based off rpms. i finally took it to my gmc dealer i had 78000 on it. they replaced it anyways for free.

Archived