Auto Ride Problem

fyrffytr1

Question

I have a 2002 Suburban with auto-Ride. I bought this vehicle in Feb. of this year. The compressor that levelled the vehicle worked then but recently I have not heard it kick in and when I hooked to my 10' equipment trailer the rear sagged .

I took it to the local dealer because I was not sure what fuse to check. A service tech went out to my truck and looked under the hood in the fuse box. He pointed to an empty spot and said that was my problem. It was missing a 30 amp fuse. I didn't think he was right but went along with him. The empty spot was labeled A.I.R.

He gave me a fuse and said that should solve my problem. It didn't. Am I wrong or is that fuse used only in a diesel motor?

I read the owners manual and the only fuse I could find according to it was the one marked RTD(Real Time Dampening).It was good. What else do I need to check and is there a way to check the compressor?

• Answers 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am also having issues with my air suspenssion on my 2001 Denali. I have replaced my compressor which was dead and both shocks which were cracked. My compressor still kicks on every time I start the truck and then shuts off. The compressor kicks back on about every minute. I am assuming the only thing left to replace would be the air hoses. Does anyone know where I can purchase new air hoses? The dealer didn't seem to be of any help.

OK, I found the suspension control module in the passenger side rear area behind the interior panel and under the rear HVAC blower.

When I ground the light blue wire on connector C2 - A10 the compressor runs which tells me that the automatic level control relay and the compressor are both working fine. I never found the relay but I guesss that it is now a moot point since it is working properly.

So now I need to find out why the suspension control module is not grounding the C2 - A10 output wire when it ought to be (heavy load on rear of truck). It looks like the suspension control module inputs that effect this are probably the left rear & right rear suspension position sensors (C3 - A5 & A7) and the pressure sensor (C2 - B5).

I now need to know how the suspension position sensors and the pressure sensor inputs effect the compressor relay output. It looks like all of the sensors use a 0-5vdc analog signal. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 2005 Yukon XL Denali. I've got 24's on it. The "Service Ride Control" message has appeared. I am assuming this is the auto ride feature that everyone is talking about. We are at about 80,000 miles which is about where most of you guys say the problems start, 4 years/80,000 miles. While trailing my wife in my car, I noticed something next to the rear driverside tire looking like it was loose but I never really paid it much mind as I am not mechanically inclined. Would this be the three piece unit that everyone here is talking about? Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

-Shaun

Does any one know the part number for the exhaust valve that is on the dryer. I have a 2008 Avalanche LTZ with auto ride. I want to replace the complete system but I can not find this valve/solenoid. Thank You Gary

OK, I am making progress. As I stated above, when I force the suspension control module compressor output C2 -A10 low, the compressor runs. While it is running I can look at the rear suspension position sensor inputs and the pressure sensor input.

Both rear suspension position sensors are giving variable voltage inputs to the suspension control module C3 - A5 & A7 (as the vehicle ride height increases the voltage decreases). The pressure sensor also gives a variable voltage input to the suspension control module C3 - B11 (as the pressure increases so does the voltage). Therefore I am now convinced that all of these sensors are working properly.

Now I am looking at the suspension control module exhaust solenoid output C2 - B5. It is providing a low signal which should activate the exhaust solenoid. I confirmed that the exhaust solenoid has 12 vdc on it but the system still holds pressure (no bleed off).

I ohmed out the exhaust solenoid coil and it is an open circuit. It looks now like I have a bad exhaust solenoid? Perhaps the suspension control module can sense that the exhaust solenoid circuit is open and that is why it is holding that output low and will not turn on the compressor?

I have a 2000 Tahoe I just bought 4 shocks from Arnnot rear OEM and front Bilstein. Before my compressor was working find even though my old rear shock was gone to the dogs for awhile. everytiME I use to turn my truck on the compressor would come on now with the new shocks, the compressor doesnt comes on. IT ONLY MAKE A CLICK SOUND EVERYTIME I START MY TRUCK. I testit by running direct power and it works but once i put back on the truck ... it just click and doesnt turn on. I have now msg on my dashboard and my fuse is good. I talk to some one from Arnnot and they say it could be where the white and blue wire on the compressor since my old shock was bad for a long time.... is this true? if not can some one please HELP....

THANKS

Thanks again! I will attemp to check for a leak this weekend (or rather my husband will :lol: )! If that is not the problem, we'll continue to trouble shoot.

On a side note, after the shocks were replaced, the "Service Ride Control" message now comes up on the instrument panel, and did not prior to the shock service. Since the owner's manual explanation is hardly comprehensive, could it be possible a sensor was knocked loose when the tires were removed? I didn't think a 2003 Denali had the tire pressure sensors, but I could be wrong. Funny how this message comes on now and did not come on when there was a leak in the shock itself?

As always, thanks again!

OK...NOW maybe we are getting somewhere.

You didn't mention earlier that you were getting an error message about SERVICE RIDE CONTROL.

There are sensors attached to the suspension so that the compressor comes on and off at the appropriate time.

It is very possible that one of these got knocked loose or bent or wires got unplugged during the replacement of the shocks.

The sensors are located near the rear wheels, under the little plastic fender lining toward the front part of the inside of the fender.

It is a little rod that is attached to the suspension on one end and to a rotary device on the other end. as the suspension moves up and down, the rod pushes on the rotary device.

The rotation of the device will determine how loaded your vehicle is.

This sensor then gives the on / off command to the pump in the autoride unit.

There may be sensors that also plug into the shocks themselves...but I am not sure about that.

My experience with LEVEL RIDE / AUTORIDE, is limited to Cadillacs..but it should be similar.

THERE IS A ISSUE WITH THE THE MODULE THAT CONTROLS AUTO AIR RIDE. THERE IS A UPDATE FOR THE MODULE SO YOU WILL HAVE TO BRING IT TO THE DEALER AND HVAE IT UPDATED. I HAVE SEEN THE UPDATE FIX THE SYSTEM AND OTHER TIMES I HAVE HAD TO REPLACE THE MODULE IT'S A 50 50 SHOT. GOOD LUCK :chevrolet:

The Autoride compressors are notorious for failing at about 4 years or 80,000 miles. If you have any issues with the system first chack the air hoses that lead from the compressor to the shocks because they are the least expensive parts. Your compressor should activate almost every day after the truck has been sitting so if you don't hear it......you may have an issue. I had mine go at 79k on my 02 Suburban due to salt corrosion so I spray undercoated the case and wiring harnesses on my 06 to attempt to prevent that. My replacement was covered by extended warranty and was $458.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but have I missed where to even start. I have been reading and can't seem to find it. Where or what do I check first. If I missed it please point me in the right direction. Thanks FF

Thanks for the advice. I will give that a try and I will let you know if that solves the sagging issue.

Since I am not familiar with these auto leveling air shocks, is that normal for me to hear the compressor go on and off as though it is conatantly "leveling" the vehicle every time I turn it on and off?

Thanks for the help.

If there is a leak..then yes, it would be normal for the compressor to come on every time you start it.

It is just doing it's job and leveling everything back up. :lol:

If you DO NOT have a leak...then we need to explore other things, but I am betting on a small leak. They can sometimes be hard to find.

I have the same problem with my 03 YXL Denali. Took it to the dealer and they said that when it starts making the noise the motor is going out. Replacement is $500 from dealer but have not ordered.

If you fiigure out a cheaper way then let me know.

Dave

Archived