Mobil 1 Vs Pennzoil Platinum

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 min9861

min9861

Enthusiast

• 214 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 11:00 AM

I've been a loyal fan of mobile 1. but prices on them are getting higher and higher. theyre charging about 7.xx a quart, which means even at 7 dollars a quart, its gona cost me 42 dollars just to purchase the oil. plus filter with tax we are looking at almost $50. in journey to find cheaper oil, i stumbled across pennzoil platinum. did my research and reviews and seems like they came neck to neck. regular prices on the platinum is almost the same. i drove down to nearest kragen and found a deal. 3.99 a quart. bought 2 last boxes to stock up on them. walmart, they go for 20 dollars for a 5 quart jug, but seems like its sold out every time i stop by. so if you guys stop by kragen/o rileys or any of those branch, grab them quick! my next oil change will be in awhile but ill def update you guys on it. oh yea, do pepboys or autozone do some sort of price match?
2010 Sierra CC 5.3L

#2 snakedoctor

snakedoctor

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,395 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 11:06 AM

six of one and half dozen of the other. Both are GM4718M approved. Usually the Pennzoil is a little cheaper. I don't use either but I probably would go with the Pennzoil. Pennzoil has been owned by Shell since 2002 and has a good reputation.

#3 lowrider

lowrider

Enthusiast

• 364 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 11:40 AM

I have been using Pennzoil Platinum in my car for some time, and I've been very happy with it. I use Pennzoil dino oil in my truck. Pennzoil has come out with a new synthetic, Pennzoil Ultra, within the last 2 months. It is $28.00 for a 5 quart jug at SELECT Wallmarts, not all Walmarts have it yet. I plan to use Ultra in the future in my car, Platinum in my wife's and I'll stick with dino in my truck. It looks like Platinum will remain in Pennzoil's lineup. Link to Pennzoil site:

http://www.pennzoil.com/#/motor-oil\

Concerning Walmart, I hate, absolutely HATE, that store, but the prices certainly are right. I buy a very limited range of items there. One of them is motor oil. They are the only store that carry the 5 quart jugs, and my car takes 10 quarts per change. And, as I said, you can't beat their motor oil prices. Don't ever try to special order from them, or ask about why they might be out of something, you will never get a straight answer. Their employees seem to be straight from the bottom of the barrel. I hate the experience every time I go into that store, but it's something I have learned to live with.

Lou

Edited by lowrider, 17 April 2010 - 11:49 AM.

#4 ArkansasHellRaiser

ArkansasHellRaiser

Enthusiast

• 165 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 02:52 PM

I work at wal-mart and i'm a full time student...i'm glad you appreciate how hard we work to keep prices lower than everyone elses ;) but i'm coming up on my first oil change in this 2010 and I'm trying to decide which synthetic (if synthetic is better) to run in it....

2010 GMC Z71 Sierra
2.25" ReadyLift Leveling Kit - 5% Door and Back Glass Tint
Black GMC emblems - Pioneer 4200DVD - 20x9 BMF S.O.T.A.'s - 305/55/20 Nitto Trail Grappler's

Future: Suspension Lift; Roof Rack

Posted Image

#5 min9861

min9861

Enthusiast

• 214 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 03:14 PM

of course it is.
2010 Sierra CC 5.3L

#6 Spawn

Spawn

Enthusiast

• 155 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 06:31 PM

Neither...go with Pennzoil Ultra.
2012 GMC Sierra SLE Z71 Crew Cab
5.3 V8 3.08
QuickSilver Metallic
Mobil 1 EP 5w30
7,500 mile OCI

#7 Irv

Irv

Enthusiast

• 472 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 06:50 PM

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/

#8 GasPumper9000

GasPumper9000

Enthusiast

• 248 posts
  • Name:Ian
  • Drives:2014 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab 6.2L w/ 6.5' Bed

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:36 AM

Mobil 1...If it is good enough for a ZR1 and a CTS V then it is good enough for my truck. :thumbs:

#9 whitefrost

whitefrost

Enthusiast

• 33 posts
  • Drives:2013 Silverado NHT MAX

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:01 AM

Attached File  100_0819.jpg   97.96KB   15 downloadsi use mobil 1 15/50 synthetic,i agree,if it is recommended for zr1 and cts it should be more than enough for my 6.0

Edited by whitefrost, 20 April 2010 - 09:11 AM.

#10 lowrider

lowrider

Enthusiast

• 364 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:20 PM

ZR1 and CTS, pshaw - Ferrari recommends Ultra:

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

Lou

#11 jro909

jro909

Your Own Personal Jesus

• 4,079 posts
  • Drives:04 1500 Silverado

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:22 PM

just run water, its cheaper then both and easily within arms reach :lol: oil arguments could go on for days, its personal preference, end of story...oh and mobil ones better :dunno:
RCLB 5.3, 3.42 gears, Z85/82 Bilstein Hds, General AT2 Grabbers

Man fears what he does not understand- Anton LaVey

Old People Drive Slow To Make The Most Of The Time They Have Left

Member of the Red Truck Club

Proud Vortec Owner

#12 Mike74

Mike74

Enthusiast

• 180 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 04:44 PM

I can tell you that I use Penzoil platinum religiously now. How I stumbled on it was with my wifes 07 trauilblazer. I was into rockcrawling and ran royal purple in it and in my diesel. A buddy of mine tried to convince me to switch to amsoil, so we got into a long debate over it. This prompted the "well I can prove you wrong speeches". So over the next year, we ran aimsoil, mobil 1, royal purple, and this new stuff called penzoil platinum that we saw at orielly's. After each oil changed, we sent a sample to have it tested and found that penzoil platinum beat all 3 of the others. It has less metal deposits in it than all the rest and seemed to last a little longer in the wifes trailblazer than the rest also (same miles compared with percentage of oil life left). Once I got this truck, I started running it, and have been very pleased with it. I average 9500 miles and 6 months per oil change with it and change my oil at 4% oil life left. I ran some new stuff that I found called castrol something full synthetic. I really havent been pleased with it, and only got 8200 miles on this oil change and 4 months (I got an oil change today). I was going to try aimsoil this go around, but it was on sale for 3.99 so I couldnt refuse.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users