2006 Gmc Sierra Transmission Failure?

I have a loaded 2006 GMC Sierra 4x4 extended cab..etc etc...everything but leather. Well i'm driving the kid to a ball game yesterday and went to pass some slowpoke and the tranny just gives out. Nothing...just engine revving. I drop it down to 3rd and i got something so i get pulled over. I have to start in 1 then 2 and then 3. Can't start off in 3rd, but once i get speed built up i can go to 3rd. Nothing in drive/overdrive. 42,000 miles and no warranty left. I don't haul anything heavy buy 1 ATV and my 17ft aluminum flatbottom boat. Ive owned it since it was new. This amazes me if the tranny is dead. Could it be electronic failure of some sort? I'll call the dealership tomorrow and see what they say. Should i try to get a code reader and see if anything pops up, i think Autozone or one of those places may be able to do that...

Thanks for any help...

That has me concerned as I have the same year truck with no warranty left. I have not had any transmission issues yet, but the mileage is very low, under 17K. I do not tow anything heavy either - usually a small utility trailer or a jet ski. A 21 ft boat once in a while, but only a few miles at a time. Let us know what you find out.

he has no powertrain warranty ,its an 06, it may be electrical but the light would be on ,you didn't mention if the light was on.

you don't mention what engine you have

ive rebuilt lots of 60 and 80's,your not alone

either way it has to come out and apart for an estimate especially if the oil is darkened,and no ,an oil and filter change will NOT fix it

We had this happen the other day to our work truck. A 2004 3500 with a landscape bed on it. Has 48,000 miles on it. Never hauled anything super heavy... just some mowers and mulch etc. but nothing that would strain it. Had a guy driving down the interstate and the tranny blew. Had to put a new one in and the guy said it was just one of those freak things. He said one of the pumps went out and it just blew up... had no signs of abuse (we bought it used) and looked perfect actually....

he has no powertrain warranty ,its an 06, it may be electrical but the light would be on ,you didn't mention if the light was on.

either way it has to come out and apart for an estimate especially if the oil is darkened,and no ,an oil and filter change will NOT fix it

Is there anything one can do to prolong the life of these transmissions? Do you consider this failure so early to be unusual? What is the realistic life expectancy of this transmission if it is serviced properly and the truck is not abused in any way?

My neighbor had a 2004 Z71 with the 5.3 engine and his transmission went out at 34k miles. However, he often towed a $ 9,000 lb trailer with his truck around town without using the tow/haul mode, because he claimed that he had a horrendous rear yoke clunk when the transmission shifted from 1st to 2nd when in the two mode pulling that load. So he quit using the tow/haul mode and destroyed his transmission. 9,000 lbs is way too much to be pulling with that truck anyway.

Hmmm.............. glad I have my GMPP.

I will provide this, my work truck is an '07 Dakota. I thought the trans was dropping one day, but it turned out it was the crank position sensor (CPS). Hopefully, it's something like that...

I had 2 rebuilds and 1 new trans in my 04 before 16k miles. After the second rebuild, when the dealer took it apart they tilted the tailshaft and part were flowing out in the fluid. It was my way to not get another rebuild.

Correct me if I am wrong, but depending on the "In Service" date, he may have coverage on the 5 year / 100K power train warranty.

warmwx, when did you buy your truck? The power train warranty is transferable if you aren't the original owner.

Archived