Fuel Tank Full...fuel Gauge Reading Empty!

Hey guys, anyone having that problem of the fuel gauge being erratic in freezing temperatures, don't expect the problem to be fixed. I had the problem a couple of months ago and had the fuel level sensor replaced. Well of course when I had it fixed, the weather warmed up. I figured it was fixed, until today. d**n fuel gauge is going out of wack again. Its kind of a pain in the ass having to drive to a job 1400km away and wondering how much fuel you actually have. I mean if the fuel gauge is not reading properly, and you don't get your KM range, whose to say that the fuel used is accurate. Also its so cold where I am....between -30 to -45 degrees C, I can't even use my remote start since the check engine light is on. So a word of advice, make sure if you have or had that fuel gauge problem, you keep an eye on it in cold weather.

Use your trip meter as a rough estimator of how much fuel you have left, until you get the gas gauge fixed. Fill up the tank, reset the trip odometer to zero, and based on your average MPG, you will know when to refuel. No big deal. Many motorcycles do not have gas gauges and this is what motorcyclists do.

If they replaced the sending unit, chances are that there is a grounding problem somewhere in the system.

Oh great, so the parts are going to take forever cause they are back ordered (probably cause everyone is getting it fixed!) and when they do finally come, its not going to work anyways. Thats just great.

Oh and a work on the factory command start. I am more and more glad that I just stuck with my aftermarket astro start. It has been -35 to -40*C here too, and I have had no problems with it starting the truck, even with the check engine light on (because of my crazy fuel gauge!). My buddys Avalanche has the factory start, and when it is too cold, it wont work! Isnt that when you WANT it to work? Plus I got 2500 foot range, and it will tell me if my truck started, even if I am sitting in the arena watching hockey, or at work where my vehicle is far away (stinking mills making you park so far away!)

Sorry to jack your thread! Hope all is well down there in Calgary! -34 tonight up here in Grande Prairie! Brrr!

when at the dealer for something else I told them about the erratic gas gauge in cold weather and they said GM is aware of the problem and the new part is not available yet :tear:

Well according to my dealer, there was a bulletin that came out on it and there was a new fuel level sensor kit for it. They ordered one for me from the states and it took like 3 weeks to get here. I think they don't have new fuel level sensors designed, they are just replacing them with new ones of the same old batch. Just a quick fix for GM to buy them some time. IMO I don't know why they change things that work in the past. I had no trouble with my 05 fuel level sensor, and it was in just as cold conditions. They need to start using the same s**t that works instead of designing all new stuff that will give them problems. I am currently in Northern BC and I went to there dealer today and everyone up here is having the same problem as well.

I had this problem also, I added some "Heet-Gas line antifreeze" and it cleared up and hasnt happened since, I assumed that it was caused by moisture in the fuel tank. moisture in fuel is common and caused by warming and cooling cycles of fuel tanks, not only the one on your truck but the tanks at the gas station. you dont usually notice it until it becomes extremely cold. it is especially common for people who park in a garage.

just a quick question...why would u want that much range? thats almost half a mile.....long d**n driveway

It can be pretty handy. I dont think I will ever need the full range, but I am about 1000 feet from my truck at work, and walls shorten up that range alot. Plus the 2way is very handy for when you cant see your truck :tear:

when at the dealer for something else I told them about the erratic gas gauge in cold weather and they said GM is aware of the problem and the new part is not available yet :nonod:

Well according to my dealer, there was a bulletin that came out on it and there was a new fuel level sensor kit for it. They ordered one for me from the states and it took like 3 weeks to get here. I think they don't have new fuel level sensors designed, they are just replacing them with new ones of the same old batch. Just a quick fix for GM to buy them some time. IMO I don't know why they change things that work in the past. I had no trouble with my 05 fuel level sensor, and it was in just as cold conditions. They need to start using the same s**t that works instead of designing all new stuff that will give them problems. I am currently in Northern BC and I went to there dealer today and everyone up here is having the same problem as well.

GRRRRR, I will have to ask them if the part is an updated one when they call to tell me it is in. Mine is also coming from the states, and will take about 3 weeks to get here. Everyone here (in northern Alberta) is having the same problem. All I had to say was "2007 Chev Silverado", and "fuel gauge" and the service manager knew exactly what I was talking about. EVERYONE here is having the same problem! :crackup:

• 2 weeks later...

got down below 0 today and got in to drive to work my d**n gas gauge did the same thing...it finally came up slowly then dropped off again....finally today its working. We'll see how long it lasts. I called the dealer and he said put some dry gas in there. I expect better from GM. :bs:

Here is the info... is there a fix and what is it???

Make : CHEVROLET Model : SILVERADO 1500 Year : 2007

Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.

Service Bulletin Num : 4294 Date of Bulletin: DEC 01, 2007

NHTSA Item Number: 10021415

Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM: INSTRUMENT PANEL

Summary:

FUEL GAUGE ERRATIC IN FREEZING TEMPERATURES P0463. *KB WITH ONE OF THE FOLLOWING ENGINE RPO'S: LY2, LY5, LY6. LH6, L76, L92. UPDATED 1/30/08. *NJ

Here is the info... is there a fix and what is it???

Make : CHEVROLET Model : SILVERADO 1500 Year : 2007

Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.

Service Bulletin Num : 4294 Date of Bulletin: DEC 01, 2007

NHTSA Item Number: 10021415

Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM: INSTRUMENT PANEL

Summary:

FUEL GAUGE ERRATIC IN FREEZING TEMPERATURES P0463. *KB WITH ONE OF THE FOLLOWING ENGINE RPO'S: LY2, LY5, LY6. LH6, L76, L92. UPDATED 1/30/08. *NJ

The fix is a new fuel level sensor kit....but it don't fix the problem, I thought it did until it got cold again and of course same problem. One good thing about this problem is once it warms up it will come back and check engine light will go off...lol

Archived