Lucas Oil Additives,do You Use 'em?

Hi All,I'm looking for opinions on using Lucas in my 454.It's the '95 Burb in my sig.Soon I'll be changing the oil for the first time since installing a Comp Cams cam.A friend says I need to use the Lucas 'cause it's the best thing since sliced bread.I've never been a fan of additives and don't really want to put a thick gooey substance in an engine that's supposed to use 10W-30.I'm a fan of Castrol GTX and have it in all my vehicles and they're still going(150,000 +) miles.I also know about an additive with 'ZDDP', Any opinions?

g'dirt

Hi All,I'm looking for opinions on using Lucas in my 454.It's the '95 Burb in my sig.Soon I'll be changing the oil for the first time since installing a Comp Cams cam.A friend says I need to use the Lucas 'cause it's the best thing since sliced bread.I've never been a fan of additives and don't really want to put a thick gooey substance in an engine that's supposed to use 10W-30.I'm a fan of Castrol GTX and have it in all my vehicles and they're still going(150,000 +) miles.I also know about an additive with 'ZDDP', Any opinions?

g'dirt

No, I would not recommend it...other opinions will vary

The only additive I add, is a fuel injection cleaner. One day, I may try the wetter water. The other stuff, I leave on the shelf.

Thanks guys,I thought so....additives might work in an old engine with loose rods and lifters and older engines where the recomended oil is 40+ weight but not in todays engines which have tighter tolerances.Remember STP? That stuff came out of the can like syrup... :-)

g'dirt

The only additive I add, is a fuel injection cleaner. One day, I may try the wetter water. The other stuff, I leave on the shelf.

Thanks guys,I thought so....additives might work in an old engine with loose rods and lifters and older engines where the recomended oil is 40+ weight but not in todays engines which have tighter tolerances.Remember STP? That stuff came out of the can like syrup... :-)

g'dirt

Maybe my friend likes it because he has a 77 f-250 with ALOT of miles on it :withstupid:

Additives aren't necessary with today's oils. There are those who swear by their additives (but there are those who swear Amsoil makes them bulletproof and good looking too)

I have used a few Lucas items in the past. (mainly in dirt bikes) They make a trans fluid additive that is in my 140K Explorer trans right now. It stopped a small leak in a 140K trans that probably isn't far from needing replacement. I would not put anything like that in a perfectly good trans though.

I have used a few Lucas items in the past. (mainly in dirt bikes) They make a trans fluid additive that is in my 140K Explorer trans right now. It stopped a small leak in a 140K trans that probably isn't far from needing replacement. I would not put anything like that in a perfectly good trans though.

+1

If I needed to band-aid a small leak to buy some time, I'd do the same. I wouldn't use as a permanent fix.

+1

If I needed to band-aid a small leak to buy some time, I'd do the same. I wouldn't use as a permanent fix.

+2

Over 244,000 miles on my '88 Corsica,140,000 miles on my Dad's '95 Lumina,and 130,000 miles on my Mom's '96 Beretta using nothing but 5W30 conventional Pennzoil,No additves other than some Techron fuel system cleaner every once-in-awhile.

+1

+2

Over 244,000 miles on my '88 Corsica,140,000 miles on my Dad's '95 Lumina,and 130,000 miles on my Mom's '96 Beretta using nothing but 5W30 conventional Pennzoil,No additves other than some Techron fuel system cleaner every once-in-awhile.

That settles it,no Lucas for me...I think my friend liked the Lucas 'cause it quieted some noisey lifters and loose mains.

g'dirt

+1

+2

That settles it,no Lucas for me...I think my friend liked the Lucas 'cause it quieted some noisey lifters and loose mains.

g'dirt

Check out bobistheoilguy.com He has a section on the lucas additive. You will be surprised.

+1

+2

g'dirt

Check out bobistheoilguy.com He has a section on the lucas additive. You will be surprised.

I just checked out that site,am I understanding this right? When you add Lucas to the oil it creates air in the oil causing it to foam up therefor:more air,less lubricating? Do you think the oil pressure would go down a little? Help me think this out,but i still am against additives unless stated earlier here it might be OK for a quick fix,not much more....

g'dirt

Hey go ahead and put the lucas in it. I use it in everything. My last truck a 90 half ton had 571,000 on it and used lucas from 300k on. It has a new owner and the new owner said its hit 630k and he uses the lucas everytime. I use in it everything I own. The lucas oil for the motor. And the transmission additive helps control heat and lubricates the valves in an automatic. Your friend is right it is the best stuff out there. The oil additive is not a stop leak. It is an oil stabilizer so when the oil heats up it helps maintain viscosity and raises the limit of the temperature in which the oil would normally break down. Read the bottle it will tell you exactly what it does.

It's the same story at the drag strip. There are guys that use Lucas in everything (maybe even on their sandwiches) and guys that wouldn't allow it in their shop... all in the same pits and racing each other weekly.

And the transmission additive helps control heat and lubricates the valves in an automatic. Your friend is right it is the best stuff out there. The oil additive is not a stop leak. It is an oil stabilizer so when the oil heats up it helps maintain viscosity and raises the limit of the temperature in which the oil would normally break down. Read the bottle it will tell you exactly what it does.
Sounds like it just does everything that modern oil does anyways.

Archived