Loose Steering In '79 Chevy?

Hi all, working on making my '79 chevy k10 4x4 a solid work truck. The steering feels pretty loose. The front end appears to be pretty tight so I figure it must be in the gear box. Is there a how to on tightening the steering up? How hard is it to do?

Thanks,

Kyle

I can tell you how to adjust it but it is something you have to be VERY carefull about, there is an ajustment on the top of the box, losen the jam nut and screw in 1/8 turn at a time (then re-drive). I WOULD NOT RECOMEND going more than 1/2 turn, as at some point you are going to cause the worm shaft to bind, it may be worn in the center of travel (most common place, as it is were the wheel normally sits in the center position) BUT adjusting this point to have the least amount of play can cause it to bind while tunring your wheel on the points of the worm shaft that are not as warn. I GIVE YOU a stern warning, this adjustment can have very unsafe curcustances, hence the great idea of replaceing the box, being that age of truck it is likely it has been adjusted before. You have been warned :D

I can tell you how to adjust it but it is something you have to be VERY carefull about, there is an ajustment on the top of the box, losen the jam nut and screw in 1/8 turn at a time (then re-drive). I WOULD NOT RECOMEND going more than 1/2 turn, as at some point you are going to cause the worm shaft to bind, it may be worn in the center of travel (most common place, as it is were the wheel normally sits in the center position) BUT adjusting this point to have the least amount of play can cause it to bind while tunring your wheel on the points of the worm shaft that are not as warn. I GIVE YOU a stern warning, this adjustment can have very unsafe curcustances, hence the great idea of replaceing the box, being that age of truck it is likely it has been adjusted before. You have been warned :lol:

:D

Does the truck need to be jacked up or anything to do it? I may or may not attempt this. Haven't decided the gear box appears to be newer than factory but, if that was the case don't think I'd have a problem. But, the steering wheel inside the cab just seems to have about 6 inches of play and that makes me feel a little unsafe driving it.

nope you can do it with the truck sitting, use a wrench and a screwdriver, you need to hold the center (with screwdriver) to prevent it from turning when you loosen the jam nut. when its loose turn clockwise (tigten) the adjsutment screw, then lock down the jam nut and hold the screw to prevent it from tightening further when you tigten the jam nut. then go for a drive, see if it gets better, it should, then repeat that a few times, if you have to do it 2-3 times (1/8th turn at a time) then consider a new box,

Archived