Articles

Articles

Articles

Final 2015 Colorado and Canyon power figures released

Zane
  • By Zane Merva

Executive Editor, GM-Trucks.com

6/18/2014

General Motors has released the final engine power figures for the up coming 2015 Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon.

The standard 2.5L four-cylinder engine will produce 200-horsepower and 191 ft-lb of torque while the optional 3.6L six-cylinder engine will be rated at 305-horsepower and 269 ft-lb. Properly equipped, the mid-size truck duo will be rated to tow up to 7,000lbs when it goes on sale later this year.

No further information on the optional 2016 2.8L Duramax diesel engine was released at this time.

Chevrolet/GMC Press Release

Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon Top Segment in Power

DETROIT – The 2015 Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon will have the most horsepower in the midsized truck segment when they go on sale this fall.

The Colorado and Canyon’s available engines provide customers choices to fit their varied lifestyles. The 2.5L I-4 has been rated at 200 horsepower and 191 lb-ft of torque, while the 3.6L V-6 is rated at 305 horsepower and 269 lb-ft of torque.

The Colorado and Canyon will also provide class-leading maximum trailering capabilities, with the capacity to tow up to 7,000 pounds when properly equipped. That’s more than enough to take a truck full of friends, gear in the bed, and a trailer full of toys to your favorite weekend adventure.

Each engine features direct injection and variable valve timing to make the most of power and efficiency. Both engines are based on proven engine designs found throughout the General Motors’ family, but are optimized for the demands of truck use with the latest technology for improving performance and efficiency. This includes torque at lower RPMs for better towing power and a more confident feeling while pulling a trailer.

Both engines are matched to a six-speed automatic transmission; a six-speed manual is available on select extended cab 2WD models. The six-speed automatic is tuned specifically for the truck engines, offering features like auto grade braking and tow/haul mode.

“Every decision we made considered the wants and needs of midsize truck customers. The 2015 Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon are engineered to deliver class leading horsepower,” said Anita Burke, vehicle chief engineer for Midsize Trucks. “Not everyone needs the size or the capability of a full-sized pickup. Now customers have a viable option in a smaller package.”

Class-leading horsepower also comes with efficiency, courtesy of dual-overhead camshafts with variable valve timing, direct injection, and jet-spray piston cooling, while aluminum blocks and forged-steel crankshafts ensure a long-life cycle.

The Colorado and Canyon will be assembled at GM’s Wentzville, Mo., assembly plant with start of production in fall 2014.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Pricing must be astronomical because they sure don't seem like their in to big of a hurry to release it...

It would have been better if they had more torque over horsepower too since their trucks, but hey at least their good looking.

Edited by Daryl Z71

If the 3.6L 305hp V6 is the same one that's in my wife's '14 Equinox, that's a great engine. Plenty of horsepower and torque and excellent fuel economy (24.5 combined city/highway). Very glad I opted for the V6 over the 4 cyl.!

I think they're in a hurry to release it because there's a few other manufacturers right behind them wanting to do the same. So why not grab the sales while the getting is good.
I'm interested to see the fuel economy numbers and hoping that they also offer the automatic with selectable shifting.

Of course pricing will be high, GM has now priced almost everything they sell at the high end of the market. The Traverse got killed in a recent Autoguide comparison because it was one of the highest priced with the fewest features and oldest platform.

Let's just hope it lives up to it instead if needing 9K in rebates to move them like their other recent truck.

Heck that 3.6L 305HP V-6 is probably the same one that is in my 2013 Impala and the slightly more HP V-6 Camaro.... Is it really a truck engine, or is it going to be a failure in the trucks just like the engines were in the previous Colorado/Canyon/Hummer H3 (minus the 5.3L)

Don't get me wrong, the 3.6L in the cars is pretty good, it finally puts GM Sedans into the segment that can compete with most other modern day sedans as far as engines go, but... how well it will do in the truck?

Edited by Colossus

The DI V6 is the one from the Caddy CTS and Camaro, tweaked for truck use. Very nice engine. Small V8 power in a V6 package. Much better power and economy than the 4.8L V8 I had in my '02 Silverado, and that worked very well. Extremely efficient too. The CTS and Camaro absolutely FLY. This will be a great engine in the Colorado.Had they come out with it a year sooner, I may have a Colorado instead of a Silverado.

Edited by patriot

Why don't they use the 4.3 from the sierra and silverado.

I wondered that also. But probably because it would have cannibalized some of the market for Silverados/Sierras with that motor.

I wondered that also. But probably because it would have cannibalized some of the market for Silverados/Sierras with that motor.

I agree. Cannibalized. Good word. :thumbs:

• Like 1

I remember not too long ago I got real amp up when I saw a Colorado with a 5.3 in it. It ended up being more expensive than the full size cause it was special. Ended up getting a Trailblazer SS for just a little more. Hope they price them a little better this time. Hell I just realizes that was almost ten years ago.

Edited by KARNUT

Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.