I found a set of speakers laying around the house.

Here is what I have:

2-Polk Ex502 series 51/4" speakers

2-Jensen Ks 6922Cx 135 Watts Peak 4x6" speakers

1. Will the Polk's work in the front?

2. Will the Jensen's work in the back?

3. If they will work, are these speakers going to have any better performance than the stock speakers?

I can't stand the stock speakers, and thought these might work until I have enough money saved up to get a good set.

4. Assuming that these are good enough to replace the stockers for a little while, How do I get the door panels off? I know there are a couple screws to take out, lift up on panel, pull out.

Where are the screws at? I don't want to tear the panel up.

Here is a link to pictures of the speakers:

Speaker Pictures at Webshots

Thanks to all who help

Yes, those speakers will work fine!!!!  The 5 1/4" will need to have an adapter ring made (or bought) to fit in the front doors, but the 4x6 should fit right in the rear.  I've had my panels off before, but without looking, can't remember where exactly the screws are, there aren't many.  I'm sure someone here had a link to instructions somewhere.

BTW: Yes, they will be better than stock, but the real difference can be noted by changing the head unit to an aftermarket one, and adding some sort of crossover.  I have my stock speakers sounding pretty good, but I have changed the head unit and added a EQ/DSP/X-OVER also.  The trick is to get a good clean signal to your speakers, not necessarily the speakers. ;)

• 3 months later...

If you change the stock head unit to something aftermarket (like Pioneer) how does the radio account for Onstar being intergrated with the speakers? I mean will the speakers still cut off when Onstar comes on? How about the speed sensitive volume control? Is that lost as well? GM sure integrated the electronics together in the newer trucks.

You can get an adapter so that you can continue using the onstar, haven't done it personally because I don't have it, but I've been reading a lot of audio forums lately.  Don't know about the speed sensitive volume.

Archived