Torque Management.

Not the same transmission and the V is a manual 6 speed. But there is TQ management in the CTS as well :uhoh:
The car has both, a manual and auto. What is different about the 6L90E in the Caddy and the 6L90E in the trucks?....The curb weight is 4200 pounds for the manual model and 4300 pounds for the optional automatic transmission models.

I don't know of any truck with 500+ TQ running a 90e? Which one are you referring to? Most have the 60e or 80e and a few with 65e.
Sorry, I got this cleared up now. I got some wrong info. The 6.2 in the trucks have the 6L80E.

I don't know of any truck with 500+ TQ running a 90e? Which one are you referring to? Most have the 60e or 80e and a few with 65e.
Sorry, I got this cleared up now. I got some wrong info. The 6.2 in the trucks have the 6L80E.

All the 2500 and 3500 gas-motor trucks are 6L90....same basic box (inside) as the CTS-V auto from what I can find. The 1500 trucks use the 6L80 which is the same box (inside) as the Vette, the (dead) XLR and (dead) XLR-V, the V8 Camaro, etc.

I've heard that the TM is for lots of reasons...not just for the trans. I know there's a little during shifts to smooth things out a bit but I doubt that this is what most here complain about (go drive a carb'ed 4L60 from the late 80's early 90's and feel how much 'push' feel there is at the end of the shift compared to new stuff).

• 1 month later...

Driveline torque depends on torque available, or skid torque, whichever is greater. Heavier truck has a higher skid torque so higher driveline torque. The CTS-V with 2200 lbs on the rear can't put that much torque to the ground in lower gears. A truck with 5000lbs on the rear axle may.

I have not seen anyone mention the fact that trucks are actually made for hauling and towing. When was the last time you saw a Cadillac tow something or haul lumber from the hardware store?

A truck towing 5000# or hauling some weight will naturally be harder on a transmission than a car of any sort.

For the record the 6L80e is also used in the new Camaro's w/ 426hp.

It would stand to reason that a transmission is at its weakest during a shift. Therefore it is beneficial to the tranny to limit input torque during this operation.

Archived