Seatback Won't Tilt Forward '89

The bench seatback in my '89 Cheyenne (regular cab) won't tilt forward. I know it's supposed to lock in place during an abrupt stop, but this one's stuck all of the time. Where should I look for the problem? I figure that lock mechanism is frozen up or jammed, but can't find it. Thanks in advance for any help with this problem.

If it's anything like my 92, be sure you are not pointing down hill when trying to tilt it forward... Other than that, I usually have to knock it back and forth a few times and it pops free. Sort of a pain when it'a an xtra-cab and you need to get in the back.

--Mike

Thanks, Mike. I'll give that a try.

If it's anything like my 92, be sure you are not pointing down hill when trying to tilt it forward... Other than that, I usually have to knock it back and forth a few times and it pops free. Sort of a pain when it'a an xtra-cab and you need to get in the back.

--Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Still no luck with the seat. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Zimm

--Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Fixed it! There are metal weights that swing forward into latches if the truck stops suddenly, keeping the seat from slamming into the passengers. The driver's side weight had a frozen bushing and the weight was stuck in its locked position.

I drove the weight out of the latch and tilted the seat forward. Next I removed the weight, then pressed the bushing out, cleaned it up, oiled it, all was well. I'm probably the only person this has happened to, but maybe someone else will search for it in the future.

Thanks,

Zimm

Still no luck with the seat. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Zimm

--Mike

Archived