Towing A Full Size Pickup

• 1 year later...

Senior citizen likes to measure twice, cut once. Took 2010 GMC Sierra 4X4 (1500) to dealer and asked knowledgable rep to sit in pass seat and together we put through procedures. M light finally showed after about 20 seconds. Felt ok w/tranny in park as I have been towing Jeep. However, in Jeep we leave key in ignition in with motor not running. Rep said to turn key all way off in GMC. Still haven't towed, awaiting March trip but wanted to know if any others have towed w/key all way off. Realize I loose my power steering.

Senior citizen likes to measure twice, cut once. Took 2010 GMC Sierra 4X4 (1500) to dealer and asked knowledgable rep to sit in pass seat and together we put through procedures. M light finally showed after about 20 seconds. Felt ok w/tranny in park as I have been towing Jeep. However, in Jeep we leave key in ignition in with motor not running. Rep said to turn key all way off in GMC. Still haven't towed, awaiting March trip but wanted to know if any others have towed w/key all way off. Realize I loose my power steering.

note that on certain year models there is not steering lock when the key is turned to the "off/ lock" position. This started in 2003 and I know it goes through at least 2009. With these vehicles the front tires can steer as needed because the steering column does not lock.

Thank U 4 the quick reply. Little late on answering as I went ahead and hooked up and towed with the GMC Manual instructions. Little worried but asked wife to stay outside M/H and make sure wheels were all turning on GMC and turned right (ok) on steering. Turned left and all ok also. Nice to be parked in friends land of 50 acres and I can experiment. Had towing lights hooked up a little backwards but soon straightened out. Now I need to work on the "brake buddy" system and make sure that works ok. Those mountains in the North West are a little tricky sometimes.

Again thanks

Archived