Towing A Full Size Pickup

I am driving down the road in my 09 Silverado and see a motorhome towing behind it a faily new GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew Cab and it was either a SLE or a SLT.

I think that I remember something in the owners manual that says your not suppose to tow the truck with the rear wheels on the ground because it could damage the tranny.

I don't know how far they were going, but would it be worth the trouble to remove the driveshaft, or is that possible with out loosing tranny fluid out the rear of the transmission?

Any ideas?

Towing the truck without the driveshaft removed is hazardous. The transmission oil pump is not driven unless the engine is running. Meaning the planetary gears do not get lubrication. I would never let my own truck be towed without the driveshaft removed.

Towing the truck without the driveshaft removed is hazardous. The transmission oil pump is not driven unless the engine is running. Meaning the planetary gears do not get lubrication. I would never let my own truck be towed without the driveshaft removed.

:cool: GM specifically engineered the "Neutral" mode to enable safe towing of the vehicle.

:cool: GM specifically engineered the "Neutral" mode to enable safe towing of the vehicle.

More specifically, the transmission is not turning because the t-case is in neutral. Therefore, the non-lubricated transmission issue is not present. However, you must remove the driveshaft to flat tow a 2WD truck because the trans would be turning otherwise.

I don't think I've ever had mine in neutral, actually i'm not even sure if I know how? Does the 4x4 knob turn all that way down to neutral?

Yep. The truck has to be in "RUN" with the engine off, and the shifter in neutral. Then just turn the knob all the way to the right as far as it will go, and hold it until the "N" is illuminated. You'll probably feel/hear a clunk when the transfer case disconnects the linkage between the input and rear output shafts.

I am driving down the road in my 09 Silverado and see a motorhome towing behind it a faily new GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew Cab and it was either a SLE or a SLT.

I think that I remember something in the owners manual that says your not suppose to tow the truck with the rear wheels on the ground because it could damage the tranny.

I don't know how far they were going, but would it be worth the trouble to remove the driveshaft, or is that possible with out loosing tranny fluid out the rear of the transmission?

Any ideas?

You need a manual transfer case!!!!!!! Refresh me here but Electric cases can will leave neutral when the key is turned off? In order to keep the truck from rolling away. Somebody with a electric case can verify this... I would but I am 45 miles from my 3/4 ton.

Seems like I have had that happen to me in my 3/4 ton. I got it stuck a couple years ago in a ditch... Put it in neutral and switched it off. Pulled it with one of my tractors. Tires skidded instead of rolling freely.

Jbo

hm, have to try that some time, learn something new every day

I don't think I've ever had mine in neutral, actually i'm not even sure if I know how? Does the 4x4 knob turn all that way down to neutral?

Yep. The truck has to be in "RUN" with the engine off, and the shifter in neutral. Then just turn the knob all the way to the right as far as it will go, and hold it until the "N" is illuminated. You'll probably feel/hear a clunk when the transfer case disconnects the linkage between the input and rear output shafts.

hmmm I may be wrong but this info is in the manual and at least has been since 99 (GMT-800 trucks)

possible.... It could be.....

I checked my manual it ignores the fact of manual or electric transfer case's...... But does day pull "IGN 0" Fuse. On GMT800's.

But 2wd trucks should have the drive shaft REMOVED and a plug put in the extension housing to prevent dirt and dust and fluid leakage.

Jbo

GM Owners Manual PDF

hmmm I may be wrong but this info is in the manual and at least has been since 99 (GMT-800 trucks)

possible.... It could be.....

I checked my manual it ignores the fact of manual or electric transfer case's...... But does day pull "IGN 0" Fuse. On GMT800's.

But 2wd trucks should have the drive shaft REMOVED and a plug put in the extension housing to prevent dirt and dust and fluid leakage.

Jbo

GM Owners Manual PDF

its in there, it explains it. I know it was in my 2000 owners manual because I read it

This is the newest info. I could find on this......

#00-00-89-008F: Info - Recreational (Dinghy) Towing - (Jul 28, 2006)

Subject: Recreational (Dinghy) Towing

Models: 1995-2005 Chevrolet Cavalier

1997-2003 Chevrolet Malibu

1998-2004 Chevrolet Tracker

2004-2006 Chevrolet Classic (Old Style Malibu)

2004-2007 Chevrolet Malibu (excluding SS Model), Malibu Maxx (excluding SS Model)

2005-2007 Chevrolet Cobalt

2006-2007 Chevrolet HHR

1994-1997 Geo Tracker

1995-1998 Oldsmobile Achieva

1997-1999 Oldsmobile Cutlass

1999-2004 Oldsmobile Alero

1995-2005 Pontiac Grand Am, Sunfire

2003-2007 Pontiac Vibe

2005-2007 Pontiac G6 (excluding 3.9L V6 AT), Pursuit

2007 Pontiac G5

with 3L30, 03-72LE, Hydra-Matic® 4T40-E or 4T45-E Automatic Transmission (RPOs M41, M65, MN4, MN5, MX1) or 5-Speed Manual Transmission (RPOs M59, M86, M94, MK7, MJ1)

1988-2007 Chevrolet and GMC Light Duty Trucks

1999-2000 Cadillac Escalade

2003-2007 HUMMER H2

2006-2007 HUMMER H3

2005-2007 Saab 9-7X

Some customers may want to tow their vehicle behind another vehicle with all FOUR tires on the ground. This is referred to as "dinghy" towing.

Towing in this manner is acceptable only on the certain vehicles. The vehicle should be properly equipped and prepared as described below.

The passenger cars listed above are the vehicles that CAN be dinghy towed. Passenger cars not listed above are vehicles where dinghy towing is not permitted or recommended.

Certain 4WD trucks can be dinghy towed depending on the transfer case option. Rear wheel drive and AWD trucks should NOT be dinghy towed. Refer to the truck models and transfer case options below.

Please refer to the applicable vehicle Owner's Manual before towing.

Passenger Cars

Notice: These vehicles must not be towed backwards or transmission damage may occur.

• 1995-2005 Chevrolet Cavalier, Pontiac Sunfire and 1996-2000 Toyota Cavalier equipped with Hydra-Matic® 4T40-E Automatic Transmission (AT) (RPO MN4) or 5-Speed Manual Transmission (MT) (RPOs MK7, MJ1, M86, M94)

• 1995-2005 Pontiac Grand Am equipped with Hydra-Matic® 4T40-E or 4T45-E AT (RPOs MN4, MN5) or 5-Speed MT (RPO MJ1, M86, M94)

• 1995-1998 Oldsmobile Achieva equipped with a 5-Speed MT (RPO MJ1)

• 1997-2003 Chevrolet Malibu, 2004-2005 Chevrolet Classic and 1997-1999 Oldsmobile Cutlass equipped with Hydra-Matic® 4T40-E AT (RPO MN4)

• 1999-2004 Oldsmobile Alero equipped with Hydra-Matic® 4T40-E or 4T45-E AT (RPOs MN4, MN5) or 5-Speed MT (RPOs MJ1, M86, M94)

• 1994-1997 Geo Tracker / 1998-2004 Chevrolet Tracker 4WD models equipped with 3L30 or 03-72LE AT (RPOs M41, M65, MX1) or 5-Speed MT (RPO M59)

• 2006-2007 Chevrolet HHR

• 2005-2007 Chevrolet Cobalt, Pontiac Pursuit

• 2005-2007 Pontiac G6 (excluding 3.9L V6 AT)

• 2007 Pontiac G5

Towing Procedure

Notice: Failure to follow these instructions may result in damage to the transmission.

Important: The towing speed as stated in the Owner's Manual should not exceed 104 km/h (65 mph) for 1995-2005 vehicles.

In order to properly dinghy tow the vehicle, follow these steps:

Firmly set the parking brake.

Open the fuse panel and pull the fuse(s) indicated in the Owner's Manual section detailing towing your vehicle. This prevents the instrument panel (IP) and/or electronic PRNDL indicator from draining the battery.

Securely attach the vehicle to the tow vehicle.

Turn the ignition key to the OFF position, which is one position forward of LOCK. Unlocking the steering column allows for proper movement of the front wheels and tires during towing.

For 1997-1999 Cutlass, 1997-2003 Malibu, 2004-2006 Chevrolet Classic and 1999-2004 Alero/Grand Am models, turn the ignition switch to the accessory (ACC) position, which is one position forward of OFF. This position unlocks the transaxle.

Shift the transmission to Neutral (N).

Notice: Use extra care whenever towing another vehicle. Do not exceed the towing vehicle's gross combination weight (GCW) by adding the weight of the dinghy towed vehicle or vehicle damage may result.

When the vehicle being towed is firmly attached to the tow vehicle, release the parking brake.

Replace the fuse(s) in the fuse panel when finished towing.

Tracker Models

Notice: Locking the steering column when towing your vehicle may damage the steering column. Always unlock the steering column before towing.

Important:

• Two-wheel drive Trackers cannot be dinghy towed. Two-wheel drive models MUST be towed with the rear drive wheels on a dolly.

• The towing speed must not exceed 90 km/h (55 mph).

In order to properly dinghy tow a 4WD Tracker, follow these steps:

Set the parking brake.

Shift the transmission into Park (AT) or second gear (MT).

With the ignition key in the ON position, move the transfer case to Neutral. Make sure the 4WD indicator on the instrument panel cluster is Off.

Turn the ignition key to ACC in order to unlock the steering wheel.

Release the parking brake.

Stop towing the vehicle every 300 km (200 mi) and do the following steps:

Start the engine of the towed vehicle.

Leave the transfer case shift lever in Neutral.

Shift the transmission to Drive (AT). For vehicles with MT, leave the transmission in second gear with the clutch engaged.

Run the engine at medium speed for one minute to circulate the oil through the transfer case.

2003-2007 Pontiac Vibe

Only the front wheel drive vehicles with manual transmission are designed to be dinghy towed. Use the following procedure to properly dinghy tow these models:

Place the shift lever in Neutral.

Turn the ignition switch to the ACC position to avoid locking the steering wheel. Make sure that the audio system is turned off and that nothing is plugged into the power outlets.

Release the parking brake.

After dinghy towing the vehicle, let the engine idle for more than three minutes before driving the vehicle.

Four Wheel Drive and All Wheel Drive Light Duty Trucks

Dinghy towing is permitted on the following trucks with the transfer case placed in the Neutral position. Refer to the end of this bulletin for identification information to determine type of transfer case.

• K trucks equipped with Borg-Warner 4401 (RPO NP2), 4470 (RPO NP2), 4482 (RPO NR4) transfer case

• K trucks (old style) equipped with NVG 241 transfer case (RPO NP2)

• K trucks (new style) equipped with NVG 246 transfer case (RPO NP8)

• K trucks equipped with NVG 261 transfer case (RPO NP2)

• K trucks equipped with NVG 263 transfer case (RPO NP1)

• T Utility trucks (new style) equipped with NVG 226 transfer case

• T trucks equipped with NVG 231 transfer case (RPO NP2)

• T Utility trucks equipped with NVG 236 transfer case (RPO NP8)

• Colorado, Canyon equipped with T150 transfer case (RPO NP1)

• HUMMER H2 equipped with Borg Warner 4484 (RPO NR4)

• HUMMER H3

The following vehicles should NOT be dinghy towed because the transfer cases in these vehicles either have no neutral position or do not have an internal oil pump to provide lubrication while being towed. In order to properly tow the following vehicles, place the vehicle on a platform trailer with all four tires off the ground. Avoid towing the vehicle with all four tires on the ground. In rare instances when towing with all four tires on the ground is unavoidable, both the front and the rear propeller shafts must be removed in order to prevent damage to the transfer case and/or transmission. Because front and rear propeller shafts are matched to attaching components at assembly, refer to the applicable Service Manual for procedures on propeller shaft removal/installation.

• K trucks equipped with NVG 208 transfer case (no oil pump)

• K trucks equipped with optional electric shift NVG 243 transfer case (RPO NP1) (no Neutral position)

• K trucks equipped with NVG 149 (RPO NP3) (no Neutral position)

• K Utility trucks equipped with Borg Warner 4481 (RPO NR3) (no Neutral position)

• H Vans equipped with Borg Warner 4473 (RPO NP3) (no Neutral position)

• Syclone, Typhoon, L Van, Bravada and Rainier equipped with Borg-Warner 4472 transfer case, NVG 136 and NVG 126 (RPO NP4) transfer case (no Neutral position)

• T trucks equipped with NVG 207 transfer case (no oil pump)

• T trucks equipped with optional electric shift NVG 233 transfer case (RPO NP1) (no Neutral position)

• SRX models equipped with Borg Warner 4476 transfer case (no neutral position)

Towing Procedure

In order to properly dinghy tow the vehicle, use the following procedure:

Firmly set the parking brake.

Place the AT in Park (P) or the MT in the lowest gear (1st).

Securely attach the vehicle being towed to the tow vehicle.

Caution: Shifting the transfer case to Neutral can cause the vehicle to roll, even if the transmission is in park (automatic) or 1st gear (manual), and may cause personal injury.

If equipped, place the transfer case shift lever in Neutral (N).

Notice: Use extra care whenever towing another vehicle. Do not exceed the towing vehicle's gross combination weight (GCW) by adding the weight of the dinghy towed vehicle or vehicle damage may result.

When the vehicle being towed is firmly attached to the tow vehicle, release the parking brake.

The Owner's Manual specifies the appropriate ignition key position to ensure that the steering is unlocked to allow the front wheels to follow the tow vehicle.

Rear Wheel Drive Light Duty Trucks

Important:

• Dust or dirt can enter the back of the transmission through the opening created by the removal of the slip yoke from the transmission if proper protection is not provided.

• Verify that the transmission fluid is at the proper level before driving the truck.

Rear wheel drive vehicles, equipped with AT or MT, should NOT be dinghy towed. These transmissions have no provisions for internal lubrication while being towed. In order to properly tow these vehicles, place the vehicle on a platform trailer with all four tires off the ground. Avoid towing the vehicle with all four tires on the ground. In rare instances when it is unavoidable that a rear wheel drive vehicle be dinghy towed, the propeller shaft to axle yoke orientation should be marked and the propeller shaft removed. Refer to the applicable Service Manual for procedures on propeller shaft removal/installation.

Transfer Case Identification

The identification tag on the rear half of the transfer case provides the following information:

• The Model number

• The Transfer Case Assembly Part Number

• The Serial Number

• The low-range reduction ratio

Archived