West Virginia guys sound off...

HillHound

Let's have a hand count for West Virginia guys who frequent this forum and where you're from.

I know Tom, Elwood and SilveradoWV all bum around here and are Mountaineers-anybody else out there?  

Oh yeah-and in case anyone is confused: It's not Western Virginia! We are an actual state (since 1863) and are not part of Virginia! (no offense to the Virginians! ).  On the rare occasion that I actually leave my hill and travel around the country it never ceases to amaze me when I discover that there are folks out there who really do think WV is just a region in VA!! :thumbs:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh yeah-and in case anyone is confused: It's not Western Virginia! We are an actual state (since 1863) and are not part of Virginia! (no offense to the Virginians! ).  On the rare occasion that I actually leave my hill and travel around the country it never ceases to amaze me when I discover that there are folks out there who really do think WV is just a region in VA!! :thumbs:

I know what you mean! :devil:  It's amazing the number of people that think that.  

Originally from Summersville.  I live in SC now, due to being in the Air Force, but home will always be in WV.  :D

Oh yeah-and in case anyone is confused: It's not Western Virginia! We are an actual state (since 1863) and are not part of Virginia! (no offense to the Virginians! ).

The bad part is that today at work I had to do some traveling and I heard on the radio that someone is actually investigating it to see if the formation of West Virginia was Constitutional or not!!

What are they gonna do if it wasn't?  Try to make us be VA again.  I guess we'll have to start another Civil War if that happens.   :thumbs:

The bad part is that today at work I had to do some traveling and I heard on the radio that someone is actually investigating it to see if the formation of West Virginia was Constitutional or not!!

Maybe all those people who refer to us as Western Virginia know something that we dont!!! :thumbs:  :devil:

What are they gonna do if it wasn't?  Try to make us be VA again.  I guess we'll have to start another Civil War if that happens.   :thumbs:

Damn...first Virginia seceded from the Union and joined the Confederacy, then West Virginia seceded from Virginia to stay in the Union and now that may be unconstitutional? :ehh:

Hmmm...I always kind of thought most of WV belonged with the south anyways!  But I don't want to be part of Virginia (no dispespect again) ! :lookaround:

West Virginia may as well have been a Conferderate State.  Charleston was a base for Union soldiers, most or all of whom were not from around here.  They let the soldiers stationed there vote on the secession because they knew that if they didn't they wouldn't get enough votes from regular citizens to secede.

The original draft of the WV Constitution had us being a slave state, but the Union denied it.  We weren't officially allowed in until we said we would be a free state.

But, actually WV sent more soldiers to the Union army than Confederate - sounds surprising, but a that time, there was a slightly higher population density in the northern half of the state.

And as we used to say @ WVU, West, by GOD, Virginia!!!  :angry:

BTW, even though I don't live in WV now (was there for nearly 13 years total), can I be an "honorary" member of the group?  I guess you can call me "hillbilly in absentia".   :thumbs:

(Probably didn't spell that right - can spell for sh** anymore!  :blush:  )  

Yeah, now I'm in MI, but my brother and Mom are buried in Beckley, so I'll be going back periodically - though not as often as I'd like.

I was thinking about that split of WV and VA, and I remember this issue of VA taking back WV has been circulated a long time - if I remember right, some politician in VA had made an off-handed comment to the press, and of course that generated lots of fodder for the press to blow it way out of proportion.  

No offense to Virginians here, but if that were ever a serious possibility, there probably would be a civil war!!

One other comment - I heard the same comments too, like, so what part of Virginia did you say you were from?  I also have heard people make comments about, so you're from Mexico, when someone said they were from "New Mexico".  That's sad too!

• 3 weeks later...

Harrisville W.V. Ritchie Co.

30 miles east of Parkersburg Hwy.US-50

Harrisville has the only red light in Ritchie county

Steve

• 1 month later...

Archived