Mirror Swap Dl3 To Dpn

I just swapped my folding DL3 mirrors for towing mirrors DPN, it was hard to see around 28 foot enclosed car trailer, I went to the dealer for a reprogram, they took the truck for about an hour, came back and stated that I needed a $50 door module calibration file per #PIT4417D. They also wanted to chrage me $200 for the work.

I was some what disgusted as and told them that I would think about it and paid $85 diagnostic fee and left.

The mirrors would not function when I went in to the dealer except for the turn LED in the passenger mirror and only the drivers window could be operated from the master switch. When I left everyting seems to be working ok.

The next time I hooked up to my trailer I noticed that the lane change turn signal only flashed 3 times as opposed to 6 time with the old mirrors.

The question is do I need the calibration file? What am I missing with out this calibration?

Heres the information they were talking about..

#PIT4417D: Swapping Outside Rearview Mirrors RPOs DL8/DL3/DPN - keywords body change outside rear side swap trailer tow - (Feb 1, 2010)

Subject: Swapping Outside Rearview Mirrors RPO's DL8/DL3/DPN

Models: 2007-2010 Chevrolet Silverado

2007-2010 GMC Sierra

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Some owners may request to have a different style mirror installed on their vehicle or request a different mirror before they purchase the vehicle. The new electrical architecture for the Silverado and Sierra has made swapping mirrors a more involved procedure than with previous models.

Recommendation/Instructions:

When swapping mirrors on a vehicle, the first thing that needs to be known is if the vehicle is equipped with door modules or not. The easiest way to determine if the vehicle has door modules is to use the Tech 2 and try to communicate with the "Drivers Door Switch" and "Passenger Door Switch". If the Tech 2 can communicate with these modules then the vehicle is equipped with door modules. If the Tech 2 cannot communicate with the door switches then the vehicle does not have door modules and the wiring between the driver and passenger mirrors is hard wired. The information below will be divided into two different areas: 1. Swapping mirrors on a vehicle equipped with Door Modules, and 2. Swapping mirrors on a vehicle NOT equipped with Door Modules.

1. Swapping mirrors on a vehicle equipped with Door Modules

The information in this section covers three different mirrors to swap on vehicles equipped with door modules: Base Power (DL8), Power Folding (DL3) and Camper (DPN). Before any parts are installed new door module calibrations must be obtained from Techline Customer Support. Advise the Techline Consultant that the vehicle is getting different mirrors, provide the RPO of the mirrors being installed, and request a new calibration for both door modules. Also, if switching from DL3 to DPN/DL8 or vise versa a new driver's door switch and the switch trim bezel will need to be obtained. Once you have the calibrations and correct bezel, then the mirror swap can be done. If the calibration or switch bezel is not available the mirror swap is not possible. Replace the driver's door switch with the correct part number for the mirrors being installed from the chart below, install the new mirrors and program both door switches with the new calibrations from Techline.

Mirrors;

DL3 - Driver Door Switch Part#20877336 ;4-power windows

DPN or DL8 - Driver Door Switch Part#20877335 ;4-power windows

One additional note to remember when swapping from DL3 to DPN or DL8. If the vehicle is equipped with memory RPO AN3, only the DL3 mirrors have memory recall. So, if the DL3 mirrors are replaced with DPN or DL8 mirrors the curb view assist and memory mirror features will be lost.

2. Swapping mirrors on a vehicle NOT equipped with Door Modules

This information only covers two different mirrors to swap on vehicles NOT equipped with door modules: Base Power Mirror (DL8) and Camper (DPN).

These two mirrors can be swapped without any additional hardware changes. The only thing to be aware of is that some vehicles equipped with DL8 mirrors may not have the turn signal wiring, due to the DL8 mirror is not equipped with a turn signal indicator. If the DPN mirrors are installed the turn signal indicator may be inoperative unless the turn signal wiring is installed. Please do not contact Partech for a wiring harness, the wires will have to be added.

Note: The Power Folding Mirrors (DL3) are not available and cannot be installed on a vehicle not equipped with Door Modules.

Thanks for the info Rich.

I do want everything to work right, the expense seems abit excessive when you figure in the cost of the mirrors. I guess I need to suck it up.

The DL3 mirrors definately were not going to do the job!

• 2 months later...

We are looking at a 2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD. The dealer found one at another dealer that has the standard mirrors and we want the camper mirrors. They checked with the service/parts dept and while the mirrors could be had at dealer cost of $250, she would not quote me the install price, she said she was too embarrassed by what they charged and we would be better off ordering a new truck with the right mirrors rather than trying to change them.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I ordered a 2011 2500hd with the camper power/heated/signals, it came standard with DL8 and I did not see anyplace to order the DL3 on a SLE and it seems to be a better choice on a 3/4 ton to have the camper mirrors. I just wish I did not have to loose the auto-dim feature.

power fold I don't hardly use on my 07 1500

Heres the information they were talking about..

Mirrors;

DL3 - Driver Door Switch Part#20877336 ;4-power windows

DPN or DL8 - Driver Door Switch Part#20877335 ;4-power windows

One additional note to remember when swapping from DL3 to DPN or DL8. If the vehicle is equipped with memory RPO AN3, only the DL3 mirrors have memory recall. So, if the DL3 mirrors are replaced with DPN or DL8 mirrors the curb view assist and memory mirror features will be lost.

2. Swapping mirrors on a vehicle NOT equipped with Door Modules

This information only covers two different mirrors to swap on vehicles NOT equipped with door modules: Base Power Mirror (DL8) and Camper (DPN).

These two mirrors can be swapped without any additional hardware changes. The only thing to be aware of is that some vehicles equipped with DL8 mirrors may not have the turn signal wiring, due to the DL8 mirror is not equipped with a turn signal indicator. If the DPN mirrors are installed the turn signal indicator may be inoperative unless the turn signal wiring is installed. Please do not contact Partech for a wiring harness, the wires will have to be added.

Note: The Power Folding Mirrors (DL3) are not available and cannot be installed on a vehicle not equipped with Door Modules.

I'm guessing that I need the "memory" (AN3) installed in my truck to finally have the curb view assist option working in my truck? I have the DL3's but no curb view (tilt)

Edited by stefman722

• 4 years later...

Pulling up an old topic. I am buying a 2010 GMC Sierra 6.2 with DPN(power, heated w/turn signal camper mirrors) I do not want them. I want to go back to standard mirrors. Do I need to go with DL3 (power, heated w/turn) to avoid any issues or can I go back with DL8 to go cheap? My truck doe shave RPO AN3...and if anyone has DL3s and wants DPNs, i'll trade straight up

• 4 years later...