I Was Sure It Was The Body Mounts Squeaking But I Was Wrong

The dealer fixed a squeak under my 2010 regular cab work truck today and I thought I'd share a picture because it definitley wasn't what I thought it was. It sounded exactly like you'd expect from a body mount donut and I even told the service writer I was sure that was the cause.

When I picked up the keys after the job the service writer showed me the TSB, which is PIT3401G "Squeak or Creak Noise From Underbody Over Bumps". I think it only applies to regular cab trucks. The noise comes from a big cable that looks like a ground strap but is actually a body tether occording to the service writer. The fix is to lube up the end and tighten it. Here's a picture of my truck after the work was done.

mystery004.jpg

Thanks for posting this. I've got a squeal noise coming from underneath my truck during certain right turns that I can't find and the dealer hasn't been able to diagnose yet either. I'd like to check this out just to make sure.

Where about underneath the truck is this located? (Door area, front of bed, etc.)

...that looks like a ground strap but is actually a body tether...
Thanks for sharing. Mine had the squeak that was body mount.

I'd have bet money that's a ground strap too. What the heck / why does it tether I wonder?

Thanks for posting this. I've got a squeal noise coming from underneath my truck during certain right turns that I can't find and the dealer hasn't been able to diagnose yet either. I'd like to check this out just to make sure.

Where about underneath the truck is this located? (Door area, front of bed, etc.)

There's a cable on each side under the door. I don't know why the body needs a tether. You'd think the big body mount bolts would be enough. I drove the truck some more today and the squeak is gone for sure.

I definately have a squeek of some sort coming from both my drivers and passengers side, around the underside of the front door area. Wonder if it is this.

If it is my body mounts, how would one go about repairing this issue?

#PIT3401G: Squeak Or Creak Noise From Underbody Over Bumps - keywords suspension turn - (Oct 12, 2010)

Subject: Squeak Or Creak Noise From Underbody Over Bumps

Models: 1999-2011 Chevrolet Silverado, Silverado Classic

1999-2011 GMC Sierra, Sierra Classic

*Regular Cab Only*

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Squeak or creak noise from the underbody over bumps. The body mounting cable, located at each rear cab body mounts, may be creating the noise.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Check to ensure that the cable retaining bolts are tight. If tight, remove the cable from the vehicle and lubricate the cable eyelets and bolt shoulders with GM Super Lube 12346241 (in Canada, 10953474). Reinstall and torque bolts to specifications.

• 8 months later...

You just saved me (or GM) from a Chrysler sale!! That squeak was getting so bad, it started waking up the neighbors! Looks like someone's "great idea" turned out to be a pile of #$@$. Thing is, my dealership did not know anything about it, but was appreciative that I told him.

My 08 had a bad squeak going over just about any kind of bump, but mine was coming from the rear. Looked up the tsb's and found the one lubing the rear springs. Now quiet as mouse.

• 4 months later...

Archived