Cruise Control Stopped Working?

kwazykid11

Question

Just found out that the cruise control stopped working today on my 2001 chevy silverado 1500. I checked the cruise control fuse and its fine. I'm not sure if any other fuse could possibly be giving me an issue. Also if their is a wiring diagram that would help alot.

0 answers to this question

Check to see if your tail lights/brake lights are out. The cruise control on my wife's 05 Tahoe stopped working a while back and I found that the brake lights were not working either. Changed the bulbs and cruise control started working again.

My 2008 K1500 Suburban lost cruise control about 6 months ago. Thought it would be a dealer issue. Have not been to this site in a while but came here and found a lot of folks have this problem. Common issue is the "stop lamp switch" on the brake pedal (located under the dash on the inside of the brake pedal at the attachment point of the push rod to the master cylinder. Held on by a single 10mm hex head screw and a clip). Part number 15861245. $23 from the dealer. Bought it and replaced it myself and that fixed it.

Took the old switch apart. Someone here said they fixed the problem by cleaning the contacts. That didn't help me. Inside the switch there is a rotating cam that activates the switch. When pressure is applied to the brake, it rotates. Mine had worn to the point it was not rotating enough to activate the contacts. New switch fixed it. Parts manager said this is a BIG problem and they keep LOTS of those switches on hand.

By the way, this DID NOT affect my tail lights or brake lights. The brake lights were working fine. Only affected the operation of my cruise control.

GMPartsDirect had it for $10. Easier for me to go 1 mile to the dealer and put it in myself.

Just found out that the cruise control stopped working today on my 2001 chevy silverado 1500. I checked the cruise control fuse and its fine. I'm not sure if any other fuse could possibly be giving me an issue. Also if their is a wiring diagram that would help alot.

The first thing to do is check for codes. The cruise control system is PCM controlled, many codes that seem to have nothing to do with cruise will disable it.

Archived