'94 Gmc-pink Antifreeze? Or Should I Stay Green?

Hey there guys, i've run into a bit of a problem. i have a '94 GMC truck, when i first got it the anti freeze was a nasty brown color, which i know from experience is from lack of maintence. but the real problem is when i asked my local mechanic he said to use the pink or yellow stuff, so i did, and about a week later i noticed excessive steamy white smoke coming from the exhaust, i knew that was a sign of water in the gas. I immediatly shut the truck off and checked under the hood, and thats when i noticed pools of coolant on the intake. so i knew right there that my intake gaskets went. Which makes me think that i should have stuck with the green! I hear from people that the newer antifreeze seems more corrosive. anybody else have this problem?

Even if it was green the intake gaskets probably would have still went theses trucks are known for the intake gaskets.But dex def didnt help any.i agree with txab stay green.

Even if it was green the intake gaskets probably would have still went theses trucks are known for the intake gaskets.But dex def didnt help any.i agree with txab stay green.

Yeah thanks, my '93 chevy has had green in it eversince new and its never had a problem. The machanic also told me that in '94 they converted to dex. But i never heard of the TBI motors, losing intake gaskets, i do know the first year of the vortec in '96 they went through gaskets quite often.

All the TBI GM engines had bad intake gaskets, by the 10 year old mark they usually went bad. Almost all my trucks needed them, not a real major issue tho. I always stay green, brand new vehicles I stay green. It just works better, no issues.

All the TBI GM engines had bad intake gaskets, by the 10 year old mark they usually went bad. Almost all my trucks needed them, not a real major issue tho. I always stay green, brand new vehicles I stay green. It just works better, no issues.

Yeah, thanks man for the info, i don't like the new stuff, never using it again.

Yeah thanks, my '93 chevy has had green in it eversince new and its never had a problem. The machanic also told me that in '94 they converted to dex.

Your mechanic is wrong. My '94 came with green in it from new and I haven't had any problems. GM didn't go to Dex-Cool in the trucks until around '97.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived