Thread To Discuss Hybrid Silverado/sierra Fuel Savings Techniques

Hello,

I am posting this here as GM-Hybrids.com Forums seem to have been taken over by Spambots. :thumbs:

I just bought a 2010 Silverado Hybrid and am still learning on the techniques to maximize fuel savings in both city and highway driving using the hybrid and active fuel management (AFM).

Please post your techniques, data points, and results in trying to achieve maximal gas mileage using one of these big hybrids. For example, When cruise controlling on the highway, what speed on flat land keeps you in V4 mode? How fast can you go before the hybrid turns off and the gas turns on during surface street acceleration? What are some of your "hypermiling" techniques with the Silverado/Sierra Hybrid.

I believe this appears to be the appropriate place to facilitate this discussion.

Best regards,

Beofotch

I have had my Silverado 2010 for 4 days now so I am still getting used to it.

Here is a question I have for the thread:

I have been mainly driving in the city but eventually will do more highway driving. I live in the city. The last time I drove my truck was Saturday afternoon, and I only drove it for ~10 city miles on Saturday. The last couple nights it has been very cold in North Carolina (lows in the teens) and the truck has been park in an "open-air" parking deck. I went to drive the truck this morning (Monday) for a 5 mile trip. During this entire trip, the "hybrid" component didn't activate at all; nor was there an "auto-stop". The entire time the Active Fuel Management (AFM) screen showed Instant Econ V8 or in some cases v4. Why would the hybrid mode not kicked in at all during today's 5 mile drive?

Any insights would be appreciated as I am getting to know the hybrid and its profile a little better. :thumbs:

The answer you're looking for is the same for any other vehicle:

avoid sudden changes in acceleration

minimize speed

Hybrid isn't going to change anything. As for V4 mode, that question is loaded. Depends on the wind, etc. More headwind, the more power you need, so the slower you'll need to go in order to keep V4 mode.

I don't know anything about the GM hybrids, but I knew a guy that had a Camry, and it wouldn't use the hybrid mode if you accelerated too fast, or were travelling too fast. I believe he said anything over 30MPH forced the gas engine. And if the batteries weren't fully charged, it wouldn't use it until they charged.

I don't have a hybrid, nor have I ever looked at one up close, but my best guess would be most likely the engine wasn't up to temperature, or a sufficient temperature to achieve the heat output you required from the ventilation system.

V8 to V4 mode is based on a bunch of different parameters being met.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Some data points after filling my first tank:

- I filled up at 25.4 gallons and averaged 19.8 MPG on the first tank. Most of this was city driving, with some freeway, and mostly during cold weather with short trips.

- On "cruise control" doing about 62mph I get 24mpg; this goes down to about 22mpg at 70 and about 19 at 80.

- If the truck is left overnight in the cold, it takes a much longer time for the hybrid battery to fill and for hybrid mode to kick-in.

- I found cheap gas in South Carolina this week ($2.73 a gallon) and will use this station as my go-to spot on my trips between Atlanta and Charlotte.

Best regards,

Beofotch

• 1 year later...

I have a 2009 Silverado Hybrid. In cold weather the truck doesn't start to cycle to electric until its warm.

Getting it into electric mode obviously helps your mileage, but getting it to shift to v4 and stay in v4 helps immensely. I used to drive more aggressively before the Hybrid but I find myself paying attention to whats coming, and whats behind me (so I can coast w/o being a nuisance), much more now. I think the life of my brakes will triple.

I tracked mileage per tank pretty closely in the first 6 months and it was getting as good or better than the sticker when we werent pulling the boat. I think city / highway is imperfect b/c suburban driving doesnt let you get into electric ov afm as easily.

Archived