200k Miles, What Maintentence Before Installing A Plow?

I have an 01 SIERRA 2500 (NON HD!!!), and I was thinking about putting a plow on my truck. I'd go with a 7.5' plow, not sure what brand yet.

What obvious maintenence items should I address before putting on a plow? Also, what is a typical maintenence schedule with running a plow?

Thanks for any suggestions

James

I have an 01 SIERRA 2500 (NON HD!!!), and I was thinking about putting a plow on my truck. I'd go with a 7.5' plow, not sure what brand yet.

What obvious maintenence items should I address before putting on a plow? Also, what is a typical maintenence schedule with running a plow?

Thanks for any suggestions

James

For 200k, I would make sure that ALL fluids were changed. When plowing, you want to keep an eye or shall I say "nose" out for any burnt type smell coming from your trans. You work the trans alot from going fwd and reverse when plowing. And if you smell what smells like burnt fluid, you need to change it out. You also want to add some dry gas to your plows pump (usually 2-3 cap fulls) is what I add before the season starts. And change the fluid annually in the pump. I prefer to bring my plow to a professional install place, which inspects and changes filters and fluids and hoses, bolts if need be, ect. It's a gamble getting into the plowing business, unless you have accounts lined up before you purchase the plow, I would assess your investment. Or is this just for personal use?

I currently plow for a landscape company driving their trucks, but I know the pay increase in driving my own truck. On the other side, a large part of the pay increase may end up going towards the maintenence of the truck as plowing is not easy on them. I would invest in a plow to do the same work I do now, as well as some other personal stuff.

So far, I believe that if I can keep up on the maintenence and get a good deal on a plow, it could be money well spent.

Thanks for the tips!

If you are getting your own plow, I would try getting my own contracts. Plow for them is fine, you're making money. But use it as a crutch, so you can pick up accounts of your own. Hopefully there is no non compete clause with the company you plow for?

Yeah, I would love to eventually have my own contracts, but I gotta start somewhere. I've known this guy for many years, and competition wouldn't be a problem because I live about 45 minutes away (non-snowy days), on the opposite sides of Kansas City. I would have plenty of work closer to home, and I've spoke with a few people already to make it happen. i just need to have a good mixture of both while I transition between the 2.

I notice you have a similar pickup to mine, although mine is an 01 and not an HD. The trucks I usually plow with are F-350's 2WD with 1,000lbs of gravel in the bed for traction. Honestly, they get around just fine if you can drive. But we do have 4WD versions and they make all the difference in the world. What's your biggest gripe about your truck? Or any problems at all with it, or wishing your truck had something that it doesn't?

Yeah, I would love to eventually have my own contracts, but I gotta start somewhere. I've known this guy for many years, and competition wouldn't be a problem because I live about 45 minutes away (non-snowy days), on the opposite sides of Kansas City. I would have plenty of work closer to home, and I've spoke with a few people already to make it happen. i just need to have a good mixture of both while I transition between the 2.

I notice you have a similar pickup to mine, although mine is an 01 and not an HD. The trucks I usually plow with are F-350's 2WD with 1,000lbs of gravel in the bed for traction. Honestly, they get around just fine if you can drive. But we do have 4WD versions and they make all the difference in the world. What's your biggest gripe about your truck? Or any problems at all with it, or wishing your truck had something that it doesn't?

I have no gripes with it, I have it taylored to my needs. Extra HD spring added to the rear stacks, Timbren SES up front, the biggest alternator that is offered for my gen truck, I wouldn't trade it for a brand new one! I do wish I had heated leather seats like my BMW X5, but thats just luxury stuff. I am very satisfied with the power and torque and never needed more when it comes to plowing with it.

So the only thing that really comes to mind as a gripe would have been the amount of weight I could haul and the bed dropping after a palet of salt was loaded into the rear. With the extra HD springs and having a full palet of salt int he back, my truck will sit higher then a comparable same gen truck as mine without the extra HD springs unloaded. Also I am not wearing tires down as fast now with all that weight. I used to purcahse new tires every 12-14 months, I'm closing in on 24 months now on the rear tires and they are still acceptable in my eyes to continue to use them. I added on other after market goodies, like the projection head lamp lenses, with HID lighting, so in a way I keep my older gen truck up with current new technology. If I could get away with it, I will contiue to use my truck for commericial purposes as long as it will perform well. When my kids get to the age of where they can drive and if they wanted to plow snow, I will buy them GM trucks and get Western plows for them. However, they would work for my company only! Side jobs would be ok, i would want them to make as much money as they can. But that is a long time from now (17 years almost). However they will have a 35 year old muscle car to drive when they reach that age, as I will never sell the Mustang.

Wow, that about sums up my concerns right there!

As my truck is not an HD, I realize that my suspension is not as "HD" as yours. Would the same "extra leaf" fit my springs, or is there a direct swap such as a 3500 leaf spring set-up? What is the Timbren SES? And, I'm assuming my alternator is 105Amp, so I reckon a 145 would be sufficient for me.

Appreciate the advice Hen, this makes life simpler not having to guess as much.

James

I had my HD spring added at a spring shop, so they could easily add the same to any truck. Timbren SES is a big rubber block that gets swapped out with OEM bumps up front. It basically makes the plow only drop front end by 1" as opposes to 3" with stock bumps with my 8ft plow. You can use a 105, however it has to work harder the more stuff that is currently running along with plow.

SAHL......................Some folks tend to go overboard !

Even with high mileage your truck should plow fine IF it is in good

shape with NO modifications. Sure you may have problems but that

has to be expected with high mileage.

The correct size plow and don't beat the truck to death you should

be fine.

But you will find that snowplowing is not the "pot of gold" and easy

moneymaker it used to be with every tom/dick and harry out there

running a truck and blade and plowing for a pizza and beer money!

I know that I need an alternator anyways, so might as well upgrade while I'm at it. And the only concern I have about the plow is the weight since it is not a true HD. Will a 7'6" plow be wider than my truck at full angle? I know the smaller the plow, the less the weight, and that's my goal for overall longetvity if the truck.

You're right about the "pot of gold" deal, but my work speaks for itself. I've had enough people interested in MY work that it has interested me enough to engage this far. I'm an electrician by trade, and I have never had to advertise for a single job, and I stay quite busy. It's who you know, as well as what you know. If you do good work, people will hire you....it's that simple. Now, I know that I am jsut starting out in the plowing industry on my own, but I am anything but clueless to the value of hard work. I'm not in the slightest trying to slam you sonjaab, I am just very pleased with my confidence. Hopefully it won't get me in too deep to something not worth it!

You say it shouldn't be wider than my truck? I would hope to have the plow be slightly wider than my truck so that I can clear a path for my tires on both sides.

Sorry if I'm getting annoying Hen Avenger, I have seen thousands of set-ups over the years and I believe that yours is closest to mine, and I clearly see that you have a great set-up as well as great knowledge of how to operate a snow plow schedule. I know how to drive, but I needed some guidance on the behind the scenes work. Much appreciated! :lol:

James

Blade not wider than the truck??????????? Surely you jest!

Some guys in my area are running 9 FOOT blades on s-10s

and plowin' driveways for $10 bucks a shot !!!!!!!!!!!!

The lowballers and guys pushin' for beer and pizza money are

rampant in this lousy economy. You get your throat cut on price and

price alone ! The big money/name your own price plowing days are

LONG GONE !

Do a search on USM or the national mangement companies

that get the big box store plowing contracts and sub them out to the

unsuspecting contractors !

I have been in this game for better than 20 YEARS.........

So what would I know????????????

Hit up plowsite.com or letstalksnow.com/forums and find

out how the snowplowing business really works!

Appreciate the info sonjaab! Again, I apologize if I was stepping on your toes. I wanted to tell you my confidence and experience since we don't know eachother. I wanted to post on here to get everyone's input since I know I don't know everything I need to, so I appreciate your advice very much.

Agreed, lowball people are definitely out there. How I forsee things starting is with a decent used plow to get my feet wet. I'd have to do a whole bunch of random jobs all over the place to get my name out there, before I could ever start naming my prices and strutting my stuff. It's a difficult process becoming succesful in any "labor" job with all the hack jobs out there and people thinking that is the industry standard. All in all, I want to more or less have fun with snow plowing, but still come out money ahead after rerpairs and maintanence to look forward to next year. If it happens to come to a very profitable situation, then I will be extremely grateful for it.

James

You say it shouldn't be wider than my truck? I would hope to have the plow be slightly wider than my truck so that I can clear a path for my tires on both sides.

Sorry if I'm getting annoying Hen Avenger, I have seen thousands of set-ups over the years and I believe that yours is closest to mine, and I clearly see that you have a great set-up as well as great knowledge of how to operate a snow plow schedule. I know how to drive, but I needed some guidance on the behind the scenes work. Much appreciated! :lol:

James

The 7.6 is wider as in clearing a path for your trucks wheels, it might be slightly wider then your truck. But it will definately clear the snow where your wheels travel. I haven't used a 7.6 in some time now, but when I used to, I found myself having to make multiple passes to clear out private roads and what not.

Last time I was out plowing, I saw someone with a 2500HD and one of those tiny plows you would put on a car to clear a path on the driveway. It looked so silly looking on a 2500HD and couldn't be more then 12" tall. It was about as wide as the headlights from inside to inside.

With snow management companies, I get calls from them all the time, I don't even bother returning their calls. I did however in the past found out what commericial lots they were looking for subs for and took over the accounts by going straight to management of the commericial business. They are middle men, that wont to pay you in peanuts basically.

Glad I don't have people in my area plowing for beer and pizza, must be some real desperate times for some people. Snow plowing is proving to be recession proof in my area, as everyione knows they need to get out and have their packages delievered. UPS and Fed Ex will not travel down the un plowed roads out here for fear of getting stuck so people will not even think twice about cutting snow plowing from their budget. Landscaping on the other hand is another story. Now back in the eastern part of the state, you are required by township laws to keep your lawn cut and not to have it exceed 12". If lawns go uncut, the town issues summons and X amount of time to have it cut. If owner doesn't comply, some townships have been known to come in and cut it down for them and clap them with a $1000 charge for it. Out here, different story, there is no restrictions. There should be though, as deer tics are a big problem and people catching lymes disease.

Archived