4l80 Oil Capacity

I have a Haynes book and it states 7.7 quarts and Dex 3. My truck is an 05 that I bought in 2011 with a reman transmission installed. I recently changed the filter and fluid and added the 7 quarts the book said. I checked the fluid level with the dipstick and it looked overfilled but I figured the oil may still have been in the filler tube giving a false reading.

Also when i called napa for the pricing, they asked if I hd the shallow or deep pan. I guess I have the shallow pan. It doesnt seem very deep to me. I didnt know there was two pan depths.

My chart shows about what you said, 7.8. Are you checking the level when hot? Also just because it says 7.8 doesn't mean that is the exact amount needed. It may vary.....

AMSOIL capacities shows.

CAPACITIES:

Engine, with filter..........6.1 quarts [1]

Cooling System, With AT Initial Fill..........16.2 quarts [2]

AMSOIL Antifreeze and Engine Coolant

Cooling System, With AT Initial Fill..........16.7 quarts [3]

Cooling System, With MT Initial Fill..........16.7 quarts [2]

Cooling System, With MT Initial Fill..........16.7 quarts [3]

Automatic Transmission, 1000 Initial Fill..........7.4 quarts [4]

Automatic Transmission, 4L80-E Initial Fill..........7.8 quarts

Automatic Transmission, Total Fill

4 speed 4L80-E..........13.6 quarts

5 speed 1000..........12.7 quarts

Like Darral said, it may vary. Make sure you are checking it when the vehicle is hot, running while in park and on a level surface.

I talked to a transmission shop owner today. He said from completely empty its around 13 and a half quarts. Dropping the pan he said its about 4.8-5 quarts. My dipstick was reading a bit high after a drive around the block. Im going to check it again tonight. It will get up to complete temp in the 15 mile drive to the shop. Worst case ill stick a hose down the dipstick and siphon some out.

I also discovered after just getting home from work that my slow leak is back. Its right above the shift linkage on the drivers side in the rear of the pan. Ill try torquing the bolts again too. I torqued them to the Haynes specified 18 foot pounds with a like new wrench. I though i had cured this.

Running in park? I thought it needed to be running in neutral.

Archived