Torsion Bar Bolt. Turn Clockwise Or Counter-clockwise?

Hey guys which way do you turn the torsion bar key bolt to raise the front end? Im readin places saying clockwise to raise but I think it is the other way around. If you turn the bolt counter-clockwise shouldn't it raise the front end?

Righty tighty, lefty loosey. If you turn they key counter clockwise, you will lift the truck, but the only way to do that is to turn the bolt clockwise, and tighten it. This will push the tab on the key up, thus increasing the torsion on the torsion bar resulting in a lift on the front end.

Hey guys which way do you turn the torsion bar key bolt to raise the front end? Im readin places saying clockwise to raise but I think it is the other way around. If you turn the bolt counter-clockwise shouldn't it raise the front end?

you want to tighten the torsion bars so if you remember the old sayin "righty tighty, lefty loosy" that should answer the question :cheers: did it on mind and i love the way it looks with just the stock keys (no leveling kit yet) it kills ride quality tho

Righty tighty, lefty loosey. If you turn they key counter clockwise, you will lift the truck, but the only way to do that is to turn the bolt clockwise, and tighten it. This will push the tab on the key up, thus increasing the torsion on the torsion bar resulting in a lift on the front end.

ha same quote same time where you reading my mind there Z :cheers:

You turn the bolt counter clockwise to lift the front, clockwise will lower the front end. Remember to jack the front tires off the ground first this will make it easier to turn the bolt and spray the bolt down with some lub. I wouldnt go more then 3 complete turns anymore will not give you anymore lift it will just give you a harder ride.

Depends on the offset. You should be OK as long as you dont get crazy with them. Probably a -12 is as much stick-out as you want, but you can go with a 0 offset to be safe. Most people's rubbing issues come from the front bumper anyway, so if you rub there, just trim the lower valence.

I was wondering if I could fit LT275/65r18 without any rubbing? Does anyone have tires this size on a stock 07 classic Sierra? I also have my truck leveled if that helps with clearance issues, and I'm buying 18x9 rims.

I had 275/65/18 Hankooks on my 2006 Silverado 1500 on a -12mm offset rim with no issues, torsion bars were cranked a bit, you should be all set.

• 4 years later...

"Silverado4x4" You turn the bolt counter clockwise to lift the front, clockwise will lower the front end. Remember to jack the front tires off the ground first this will make it easier to turn the bolt and spray the bolt down with some lub. I wouldnt go more then 3 complete turns anymore will not give you anymore lift it will just give you a harder ride"

If I have read this once, I have read it hundreds of times, and it's one of the biggest misconceptions out there. Jacking the tires off of the ground will do absolutely nothing. The weight of the vehicle will still be sitting on the axles. What do you hope to accomplish? Nothing that's what. Wheels on the ground or all wheels up in the air, the full weight is still sitting on the axles.

What you DO want to do, is take your jack and put it under the front end, NOT the axles, and jack it up some to take some of the pressure off, while leaving the wheels on the ground. In effect, u want to jack up the front of the vehicle several inches or more, manually lifting the vehicle with the Jack so that it's easier to turn the bolts and hit your desired position without experiencing the true weight.

If I have read this once, I have read it hundreds of times, and it's one of the biggest misconceptions out there. Jacking the tires off of the ground will do absolutely nothing. The weight of the vehicle will still be sitting on the axles. What do you hope to accomplish? Nothing that's what. Wheels on the ground or all wheels up in the air, the full weight is still sitting on the axles.

What you DO want to do, is take your jack and put it under the front end, NOT the axles, and jack it up some to take some of the pressure off, while leaving the wheels on the ground. In effect, u want to jack up the front of the vehicle several inches or more, manually lifting the vehicle with the Jack so that it's easier to turn the bolts and hit your desired position without experiencing the true weight.

I have seen people crank those bolts without jacking the wheels off the ground and blow out the threads on the bolts from the added pressure while cranking but in your 2nd paragraph you say the same thing iam saying so your 1st paragraph counter acts the 2nd paragraph you posted.

And by the way you do realize this thread is over 4yrs old.

I'm sorry, but I just don't follow you. If you put the jack under the axles, and jack it up into the air,

what pressure are you relieving? Full weight of the vehicle is still sitting on the axles, whether you Jack the axles up in the air or not.

The Pressure you're trying to relieve is the weight of the vehicle so that when you turn the bolts you're not physically raising the entire weight of the front end up, you've already got the weight of the front end up on the Jack and you're just turning the bolts which are far easier to turn now then if you had no Jack at all.

It's an old thread, but the still comes up under a Google search as to how to adjust the torsion bars. The age of it, is not relevant, when the information is still being used to help others.

Archived