How To Disable Abs In A Tahoe 2009

I am an avid off roader and drive in the dunes of Dubai every weekend. I have had a couple of risky situations where I needed to apply brakes but the ABS kicked in and the car just kept sliding.

Is there a simple way to disable ABS by pulling out some fuses. I tried checking the fuse box there are three fuses for the ABS, 60A, 40A and 20A. Which one should I pull.

Any help from the forum members will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Goody

I am an avid off roader and drive in the dunes of Dubai every weekend. I have had a couple of risky situations where I needed to apply brakes but the ABS kicked in and the car just kept sliding.

Is there a simple way to disable ABS by pulling out some fuses. I tried checking the fuse box there are three fuses for the ABS, 60A, 40A and 20A. Which one should I pull.

Any help from the forum members will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Goody

I remember when cruisers were first equipped with ABS and drew the ire of drivers trained and accustomed to using the brakes now n then to "steer"..we attempted to disable the system by simply unplugging the abs pump. They were much less eleaborate and integeral with the the overall system then and it "semi" worked. The only drawback was that abs equipped vehicles also had somehwat different porportioning setups IE. different valves, so even with the abs disconnected the cars didnt brake quite the same. also,if you forgot to plug it back in,and the next shift were goody goody two shoes,,you could end up on report,,,lol......the biggest caviat of course,,is dont wreck the thing and let your ins co find out you disabled the system. The more we used it,the better it got, and we also found on "loose" surfaces,,the brakes could still be used for some directional stability.

the ABS system is disabled and reverted to normal brakes at anytime that the ABS lights on the dash are on. Pick a fuse (probably the 60amp would be on the ABS motor) and if the ABS light illuminates on the cluster you know it won't interfere. Also keep in mind that this may/ probably will interfere with the Stabilitrac and Traction Control systems (and you may see warnings about those systems too).

the ABS system is disabled and reverted to normal brakes at anytime that the ABS lights on the dash are on. Pick a fuse (probably the 60amp would be on the ABS motor) and if the ABS light illuminates on the cluster you know it won't interfere. Also keep in mind that this may/ probably will interfere with the Stabilitrac and Traction Control systems (and you may see warnings about those systems too).

I believe it is #9 and #61 in the under hood fuse block..

and a suggestion to the OP if you find that pulling either (or both) work, then you might want to wire an inline switch from the output side of the fuse, this way you can turn them off an on from the cab so you have them when you need them, and they are off when you don't at the flick of a switch.

Thanks guys for all your responses.

Wet roads is not a concern in Dubai as it hardly rains here. In any case I do intend to fit switches once I an sure of which fuse needs to be disabled. In the dunes I anyway keep the stabilitrack off so if removal of abs fuses disables stabilitrack - that's fine with me.

Just wanted to be certain that trying disabling of any of these fuses should not impair my braking function except for disabling abs activation.

Or don't bother with Fuse, ABS pump etc, Just get under your Truck, just unplug one of those "wheel speed sensor" wrap some electrical tape around the connector

now you are Back to the Future and you have very traditional stone age Braking system - Ever :thumbs:

Or don't bother with Fuse, ABS pump etc, Just get under your Truck, just unplug one of those "wheel speed sensor" wrap some electrical tape around the connector

now you are Back to the Future and you have very traditional stone age Braking system - Ever :thumbs:

That'd do it.......... Unless you crawled back under and plugged it back up. Because that would introduce a fault in the system, so it would go in fail safe. Which is NO ABS and the ABS light on the dash telling you it is not working anymore because it found a problem.

Jbo

That'd do it.......... Unless you crawled back under and plugged it back up. Because that would introduce a fault in the system, so it would go in fail safe. Which is NO ABS and the ABS light on the dash telling you it is not working anymore because it found a problem.

Jbo

That will probably do away with traction control and stabiltrack also since it uses the wheel speed sensors also.

Archived