Goodyear recall on Wrangler Slient Armor tires

jimbrown1

NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 12T003

Synopsis:

Goodyear is recalling certain Wrangler Silent Armor tires, sizes LT235/80R17 LRE, LT325/60R18 LRE, LT275/70R18 LRE, LT265/70R17 LRE, LT245/75R17 LRE, and LT285/70R17 LRD, produced from the 9th week of 2009, through the 22nd week of 2009 (March 31st through May 31st). These tires may experience a partial tread area separation under certain severe usage conditions. Partial tread separation could lead to vehicle damage when the separated tread strikes the vehicle. A tread separation could also cause a tire failure that could result in a motor vehicle crash. Goodyear will notify owners and replace the tires free of charge. The safety recall is expected to begin on or before March 22, 2012. Owners may contact Goodyear at 1-800-592-3267.

For more information for this particular recall, please go to 12T003.

Thank you,

Recalls Subscription Team

Office of Defects Investigation (ODI)

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT)

I would say these are replacement tires to most users. I'm not aware of GM trucks coming with Silent Armors from the factory. I posted this so that anyone who purchased these tires aftermarket would be aware. i get recall notices from the NHTSA periodically and have read on this forum about members recommending the Silent Armor tire for those looking for a replacement from OEM.

Two kids in Texas going back to college had their tire separate and caused them to wreck and lose their lives. Goodyear knew about this but is just now issuing the recall. The article I read today said users would be notified in March. That's way too late if you own these tires in the sizes being recalled.

Two kids in Texas going back to college had their tire separate and caused them to wreck and lose their lives. Goodyear knew about this but is just now issuing the recall. The article I read today said users would be notified in March. That's way too late if you own these tires in the sizes being recalled.

So two young people are dead in Texas because of Goodyear’s negligence! What makes big companies think its ok not to take immediate action when lives are concerned!? Step up, make the announcement and do the right thing! Do they think it will just go away? It's all about the bottom line! From reading this and other forums I'd bet GY has sold tens of thousands of these tires! Which means thousands of innocent lives are in danger from these tires.

Here is the link to a Houston TV website with the information.

http://www.khou.com/news/ITeamGoodyeartirerecall-140635033.html

I would definitely be concerned if I had those tires on my truck, and Goodyear has not released why they are only targeting the specific dates when the tires were made.

"Goodyear hasn't yet identified why they've isolated that 13 week period in 2009, and so we don't really know whether or n ot this is all of the tires that are affected by this defective condition," he said.

The tires affected under the recall have the following Department of Transportation serial codes, also known as tire identification numbers found on the sidewall:

PJ0UY5HV0909 through PJ0UY5HV2209

PJAB35HV0909 through PJAB35HV2209

PJ4335HV0909 through PJ4335HV2209

PJ1535HV0909 through PJ1535HV2209

PJAH35HV0909 through PJAH35HV2209

PJLHL6HV0909 through PJLHL6HV2209

It's a shame this big company will not release the details as to why they are recalling the tires made within that specific time frame of production for the recall. Another debacle with a tire manufacturer. Does anyone have ethics these days?

Archived