starter problem

hello. i have a 03 yukon denali with 180,000 miles. just got the truck back today from having the bearings in the front differential replaced. when i picked the truck up it started fine and drove excellent, Went home and parked it and went to go out several hours later and the truck wouldnt turn over.

Ihad a new battery from my old truck handy so i switched that just to be sure it wasnt a battery problem. The truck has everything else working properly but will not turn over. i got underneath to check the area around the differential and to make sure no wires were pinched or broken. i also checked all fuses and the starter relay with no problems found. Any one have any other ideas to check besides replacing the starter, Ive never once had a issue with the starter in the 6 months ive owned the truck, but at the same time it would be just my luck to have spent the $500 getting the bearings done and then have to shell out more for a new starter.

Also if anyone could send me a wiring diagram for the starting system it would be appreciated.

my email is [email protected]

Thank You, Mike

The wiring for the starting system has not really changed since 1973. Just check that the cables are clean and tight. If that's good, check the battery, (ie, crank voltage, about 9.6V and general condition) Then check the starter if those are good. Also starters are not that expensive. ~$80-$150.

the cables are definately clean and tight, and the battery is fully charged and brand new. this is why i switched batteries just to eliminate that variable. i guess ill be going out and getting a new starter it looks like like.

Also thank you for the quick reply its much appreciated

First, use a test light and check to see if you are getting power to the main starter wire. Then get someone to turn the key and see if you are getting power to the solenoid wire. If you are, it is probably a bad starter. If not, it is likely a bad fuse. You can't just look at the fuses. You need to test them with a meter. Specifically, check the Crank fuse and the Ign A fuse. Let us know the results if you don't find the problem.

you may also have defective starter solenoid - now tap that solenoid with a little hammer or some thing, then try to start, if it's start you know what to replace

thank you everyone for the advice. and thanks very much for posting the wiring diagram for me. i was a able to determine it did need a new starter and replaced it today. in the pouring rain of coarse, and a lil while after i finished of coarse the sun came out.

everything is good now, and it was so nice to drive the truck without the front diff sounding like my the bearings were going to fall out of it. when it was pulled apart of coarse the locking tab on the drivers side was snapped off and that bearing was destroyed. thankfully i got to it before it caused any gear damage though.

thank you again everyone for the input it was greatly appreciated. Mike

Archived