Magnaflow vs glasspack

Is there really a difference? Most everything I've read here leads me to believe that the magnaflow is basically an expensive glasspack, so I was just wondering. I'm looking at replacing my flowmaster with something different and I'm looking at magnaflow as well the hooker aero chamber. Any thoughts?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Magnaflow is way better than a glasspack. You get all of the flow without the annoying pop. Not sure how they do it because the technology is similar (fiberglass mat spun around a perforated tube). I think it has to do with the diameter of the case on the Magnaflow allows for extra sound absorbtion. I run a magnaflow, and I love it WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY better than any glasspack out there.

Thanks for the replies. Has anybody here gone from flowmaster to magnaflow and noticed any improvement in drivability? I've been reading about some low end loss with flowmaster and I think this has been the case with my truck as well. 06 RCSB with 5.3. It just doesn't tow or accelerate the way I feel it should. Never has since I did the exhaust really. Thanks guys.

I ran a hillbilled flow master for about a month or so. It was a collector muffler off one of my friends old race truck, I think it was a super 40 series. anyway when I had it on I wasnt really impressed with the sound, and I did notice a slight loss in low end torque. However I do think the torque loss had more to due with the fact that the exhaust was shorter. Anyway after I finally fabbed up my magnaflow set up I'll never buy another muffler. I love the sound of it. At idle it has a decent rumble to it, nothing to obnoxious, same goes for cruising speeds. However when you mash the loud pedal it sounds great. with the flowmaster the tone would stay the same but just get louder, if that makes sense. With the magnaflow the tone gets more aggressive as you climb rpms. Nice thing about the magnaflow too, the packing is stainless so it shouldnt break down as quickly as other mufflers.

Well it sounds like my next question should be what length case should I be looking for? I've been running this flowmaster, supposedly a 40 series American thunder, for four years. So I don't think anything magnaflow makes would be considered to loud for me lol

My truck had a Flowmaster 50 series on it when I bought it and I couldnt wait to get it off there. I noticed an change when the Magnaflow went on, but mainly in throttle response, not so much low end torque. What you may actually be feeling is that loss in throttle response, and the Magnaflow should get that back.

As far as length, if you want loud, go with the 14" case. Its plenty loud (for me anyway) but has a tone to it rather than a pop like a normal glasspack. I ran one on my 6.0 and loved it. It did drone in the cab though. my mother-in-law complained about not being able to talk in the back seat. Since I actually like my MIL, I did concider that a drawback. But since it was usually just me and the wife in the truck anyway, I just lived with it. I went with a 24" case on my current truck and its much quieter, but definately lets you know its not stock. If I was younger, and didnt need a quieter muffler for the woods, Ide probably go with a 14" again.

Just make sure you get the proper exhaust diameter to get that loss in low end back. Im running a 3" and its almost too big. Its great with my performance tune, but on a stock tune it seems to lose something. Ide stick wih the factory 2.75 for a single tailpipe or a 2.25-2.5 for duals.

I ran a hillbilled flow master for about a month or so. It was a collector muffler off one of my friends old race truck, I think it was a super 40 series. anyway when I had it on I wasnt really impressed with the sound, and I did notice a slight loss in low end torque. However I do think the torque loss had more to due with the fact that the exhaust was shorter. Anyway after I finally fabbed up my magnaflow set up I'll never buy another muffler. I love the sound of it. At idle it has a decent rumble to it, nothing to obnoxious, same goes for cruising speeds. However when you mash the loud pedal it sounds great. with the flowmaster the tone would stay the same but just get louder, if that makes sense. With the magnaflow the tone gets more aggressive as you climb rpms. Nice thing about the magnaflow too, the packing is stainless so it shouldnt break down as quickly as other mufflers.

No. Magnaflow mufflers are designed with lap jointed stainless. But the muffler uses a fiberglass packing inside the baffling, which will eventually get louder and burnt out. That's the only advantage to going with an even more expensive system like Corsa or borla. They use a stainless baffling inside. But I %100 agree with you, to the OP...you get what you pay for. Remember that, upon my researching of the different exhausts I've purchased in my past and negative experiences I've stumbled upon with other brands. Magnaflow is the best bang for your buck, I don't care What anybody else says. I've now been using the magnaflow system on my truck for 4 years, my 2002 was at 3 years. No issues. Always sounds good.

And to everyone else who thinks they are gaining power from an exhaust system is living in a dreamworld. Unless your installing LT headers with a good tune, your not gaining $Hlt

I got true duals no mufflers with the cats on and it soubds dam good I love it . It sounds good at idling and even better when you get going. I had a cherrybomb extreme before that and it sounded good but I'm happiest with no muffler

Sent from my smartass iPhone using Tapatalk

This is for an 06 RCSB with the 5.3. I've never noticed any drone but I do hear my exhaust. I think a lot of ppl confuse drone and loud exhaust. Personally, if you can't hear it then there's not much point in having it IMO. I don't think drone is a problem with reg cabs anyway. I had true duals with 40 series FM on my 98 and even ran glasspacks for a while and never had any issues with drone. My current setup is a single in, dual out. It's factory piping goin in and I think it may be 2.25 coming out but I'm not positive. They look fairly small. Anyway I'm just looking to cut this one out and put a new one in.

Archived